Sunday, August 07, 2022

A busy weekend

 So Friday Martin told me that no, they would not have to cut the windows. So I put the bookcases back in my guest room and re-loaded them. Found a few more books I no longer want; I will take another trip to the library at some point with those. (Unless I try the new bookstore that opened up that says they sell used books; I know my taste is a little....non-mainstream....in books so they may want none of the ones I have but that's okay, if they don't the library might take them)

Martin also said he'd be doing the indoor repairs this week and I promised him to have spaces cleared as necessary. I did a little removal of stuff from the kitchen Friday evening. Saturday a couple of the painter guys did show up and do cleanup and also finish priming the house. 

I emptied the kitchen out. Well, I guess I still should take the tubes of oatmeal and case of golden syrup off the top of the fridge; supposedly the tile floor is being taken out and replaced and that's not something I have to arrange myself. I even moved the fairly heavy knotty-pine shelves (they came from my paternal grandparents'; I think they were in one of the cottages they rented out). I had been keeping canned goods in them but by consolidating (and also frankly getting rid of some that were well past expiration), I think I can keep that cabinet free - and use it to store the pots and pans I use most often, so I don't have to dig in the crummy old cabinets I had been using (the ones under the counter). 

I'm also considering ditching my bread machine; I've not really used it in the past 10 years and the spot where it sat on that cabinet could better house my slowcooker - there's a plug behind there and I could just use that spot whenever I want to slow-cook instead of having to clear a spot next to the microwave (where the other "open" plug is). Or I could store the bread machine elsewhere - in one of the unused cabinets - and think on it. 

This afternoon I started the very long and arduous task of moving the stuff that I had move OUT of my bedroom (when I was expecting them to have to cut into wallboard) BACK into there, and I did a little rearranging - the Papasan chair is gone (Heh, the woman whose husband transported it said her son might wind up buying it because he thought it was cool) so I moved the giant ottoman I kept from the old armchair that wore out into the room, and stacked some of my quilts on it.

And also a couple of the giant stuffed animals that are too big to live on my bed (but that I sometimes use as back pillows when I'm reading or working in bed):

Stitch is wearing a t-shirt that I had when I was a little kid. Next to him is my big Squishable narwhal that I named Mr. Prince Turveydrop after the character in Bleak House. And the other big stuffed animal is a giant pink alicorn that was a "poor me" impulse-purchase during 2020. Her name is Strawberry (which is the "old" name of Fledge, the winged horse in The Magician's Nephew)

I also decided to change a couple things up: I had kept my CD rack under one of the windows but the CD player (it's my old, old one) stopped playing CDs and so I hadn't really been listening to them. So I moved it into the living room, where I do have a working CD player, and frankly, I spend more time in that room anyway

Yes, I have a LOT of CDs.
It's not ideal; it's a little tall for the space. But it is nice to have the CDs easily accessible again and maybe I just put a couple in the changer when I'm working or reading in the living room. Right now I have a couple of the "British Light Music" ones in the changer (20th century music that is kind of classical-adjacent; a lot of it was written for movies or the radio or television - Eric Coates is probably one of the better known composers). 

There was a very small bookcase there that I kept "vintage" books on, so I moved it into my bedroom sort of where the CD rack had been:


Maybe I'll get around to reading some of these now. I HAVE read "Adam Bede" but I think that's the only one of those I've read. I do want to read "The Mississippi Bubble" (it is about land speculation in Louisiana of the 1700s, and apparently was quite a famous novel in 1902 when it was written. I don't think my edition is quite that old, though....) 

Tomorrow, once I'm sure the guys are established for painting (they need to plug an extension cord into my wall socket for their sprayers and stuff), I will clean more in the sewing room. I don't *think* I will be able to take time to paint the walls, but who knows? Maybe if Martin gets done quickly with that task I can move all the books and bookcases out and do a quick job of it before classes start, especially if I declutter a lot - I had built up a lot of tiny fabric scraps really too small to be good for anything, so I am going through and throwing those away.

Because this fall, I need to move the stuff BACK from the storage unit, and find places to store it *here*. Though now after cleaning the back closet and the sewing room there is more storage space (And also, I do plan on sorting and donating some of my excess fabric)


1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Those are a LOT of CDs? I have a library file drawer, and it only covers Abba to Sinatra