Monday, May 09, 2022

Stealing an idea

 Roger did this, so I will, too: (from "Sunday Stealing")


 

1. Do you like your handwriting?

No, I don't. It's hard to read, even by me. I think I've told the story before of how I was kept out of a gifted and talented program in school because one of the teachers on the deciding panel said my handwriting was too bad and I needed to work on that instead. It's still bad.


2. Do you like roller coasters?

Never really went on any. We were not big theme-park goers when I was a kid. We went to Cedar Point in Sandusky a few times - I think I went on the Mine Ride, which was a very tame roller coaster. And we went to Disneyworld when I was 10 or so, but mostly did the "gentler" rides (my brother was small and my mom had a stomach issue going on). I never really was attracted to rides that "go up and down and side to side and jiggle all their stuff around" (as the line from Bob's Burgers went).

go up and down and side to side and jiggle all their stuff around

Read more at: https://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=20976


Read more at: https://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=20976


Read more at: https://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=20976


3. Do you like scary movies?

No, not really. I don't like the gory ones, at least. Maybe some of the better-done psychological-horror ones but even then: not too close to bedtime.


4. Do you like shopping?

Yes, though less than I once did. Not a fan of clothes shopping and generally not a fan of grocery shopping. I liked shopping more before the pandemic when I could be blissfully unaware of disease transmission in crowds. I still do kind of like going to antique shops or craft stores but really prefer it when it's not crowded


5. Do you like to talk on the phone?

I'd rather talk face-to-face or over an app like FaceTime. I prefer being able to see people's faces; I often comprehend what they're saying better if I can see their expressions. Apparently that is not an unusual thing.


6. Do you sleep with the lights on or off?

Off. In fact, I use an eyeshade in addition, because I live right downtown and some of my neighbors have security lights that trigger when an opossum walks across the lawn.I can't sleep in a room that isn't dark.


7. Do you use headphones or earphones?

Sometimes, especially if I'm somewhere where the sound of what I'm listening to would bother other people.


8. Do you have tattoos?  Do you want any? 

No and no. I have a dislike of needles and pain, and I also am JUST old enough to have my main childhood-relation of tattoos to big burly guys who were in the Navy in WWII. No shade on people that have them, they're just not for me.


9. Do you wear glasses?

Yes, and I have since I was 13. I'm too squeamish for contacts and my eyes are too bad to go without.


10. What is your strangest talent?

Hmmm. I can usually recognize a composer from some weird "gestalt" of their style in their music. Like,. I can hear a few bars and go "oh, that's Mozart" even if it's not one of the familiar pieces. (Sometimes I do mix up Brahms and Dvorak, but I think that's understandable)


11. Have you ever been in the hospital?

Only as an outpatient - I had to have a broken nose set when I was 13 but I got to go home later that day.


12. What color mostly dominates your wardrobe?

Probably the pink/mauve/pinkish purple/tyrian purple spectrum. But I have a lot of different colors.


13. What’s your most expensive piece of clothing?

I'm guessing my wool Gloverall duffel coat - probably cost several hundred dollars new. I am not a formal dresser and I also know how to sew and knit, so I tend not to have an expensive wardrobe. 


14. Have you ever had braces?

Yup, as a young teen. My teeth were messed up. It contributed to my sinus problems, which were considerably relieved after the braces.


15. Have you ever been on TV?

Not that I can remember - if it was, it was in a background shot/b-roll.  

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

I didn't even consider outpatient or the ER. Once I went to the ER for a fall - this was in the days before urgent care in the late 1980s- and got some meds that made me totally spacey for about 24 hours. IDK if it was an allergic reaction.