Saturday, September 25, 2021

the "spoopy" season

 The actual origin is kind of lost to the Mists of Internet Time, but apparently some years back there was a poorly-made-overseas inexpensive Halloween decoration designed and painted by someone for whom English was not the first language, and so instead of "spooky" it said "spoopy."

Which a lot of silly people on the internet (including me) have adopted. Maybe "spoopy" is more "silly and cute" than really "spooky." Because I'm not into horror movies or anything psychologically unsettling or extremely gross, but I like black cats and owls and pumpkins and some of the gentler, more-fun aspects of Halloween - perhaps the thing a five year old might enjoy. 

My "popcorn" cat came. (These decorations were EVERYWHERE in the 1970s, and you can often find them for not a lot of money places like Etsy or eBay)

So I put him up:


No, no one ever really comes to my house. But I will get to see him every day when I come home from work.

I also got out the owl doormat but it's not in great shape, I may have to replace it after this year - the coir is starting to break down. 

Next up is finding the blinky orange and purple lights, but I want to do a bit of cleaning and organization first.

Incidentally I would be in the mood to send out Halloween cards (already got one for my mom) so drop me an e-mail with your address if you'd like one. I anticipate my October Mrs. Grossman's sticker pack will have many appropriate Halloween stickers, and I would like to use them.

No comments: