Sunday, January 24, 2021

Some weekend knitting

 I didn't do a LOT this weekend, but I was tired - last week was a very long week, ending with me having to re-record much of the voice-over of the VR labs, because apparently their microphone was malfunctioning - so I had to listen to myself over headphones and do my best to repeat what I was saying. Fortunately they didn't have many shots of my face (and anyway, I had a mask on), so lip-synching would not be an issue, because I can tell I was a half beat behind the original recording.

But yeah, I needed a break. I think this coming week will be simpler - there's no Soils lab because the students are collecting soil for the tests on their own, and I don't think I have the VR lab filming on Friday either. 

But I mostly worked on the Clinkerbell Cowl. I think I'm going to have to modify the pattern (do fewer repeats so it's shorter) because it looks like I might run short of yarn otherwise:


Fortunately, doing one or two less repeats won't make it look odd. The yarn is a Mineville Wool Project yarn that was on a good sale because it was a close out - the color is called "Gumdrops"

I do have a lot of random single skeins of stuff for small projects - hats and cowls and the like.

I also am thinking of taking back up with the big fluffy sweater from yarn from an October (was it really that long ago? I guess) trip to JoAnn's. Maybe this is a time for just finishing stuff and also maybe working a bit on my stash, and trying to be a bit more disciplined about knitting rather than spending a lot of time on the internet in the evenings. 

I also changed the sheets on the bed tonight (my allergies have been raging and my skin has especially been angry - for a bit this morning I was looking at some patches on my torso and wondering "hives, poison ivy from when I was last out in the field, or could it be shingles?" but given that it's really decreased in itchiness and seems to be fading, I seriously doubt it's that last.  (And yes, I know, there's a shingles vaccine, but I am waiting on that until I'm vaccinated for COVID - I've read they don't want you to have any other vaccines within a certain time of getting it and I'd hate to get a shingles shot and then have my turn come up and have to wait).

I also washed two handknit sweaters that I had spilled something on (yogurt in one case, milk in the other) and wrestled them onto a rack (with towels spread on it) to dry flat. And I hand washed the newest socks - I like to wash them before wearing them to get any sizing out. 

I had also been having some back issues - when I'd first get up, it would feel like it wanted to seize up and would hurt for the first five or ten minutes walking around, making the idea of working out less appealing. Bad shoes? Maybe - I need to get some new shoes. But it might also have been getting too cold over night - even with blankets on the bed. One night I forgot to turn the thermostat down overnight and it stayed up around 72 in the house and I didn't have the problem. So I tried it again the next night, same thing - so maybe I'm just to the point now where I can't let myself get too cold? Or maybe right now it's just a little weak. (I kind of threw it out earlier in the winter trying to move something too heavy for me). But also maybe forcing myself to get regular exercise - like almost every day, even if it's less exercise some days (so: maybe six days do 30 minutes rather than four days doing 45) and that might help. 


No comments: