Wednesday, January 20, 2021

it's almost bedtime

 yeah, it got kind of late. I sort of got nothing for today; just a long day of teaching. One of my students who had to start isolating after sitting near someone who tested positive has been cleared to come back so I assume she got tested and tested negative.

But yes, it is a lot of extra work teaching in the pandemic. Both the increased bits of work (processing and uploading the Zoom copies of the lectures), and the worry of "what if someone I am near is an asymptomatic carrier," and the additional paperwork (contact tracing) we must do. And so I'm more tired. 

Watching an old Miss Marple movie - one of the ones with Margaret Rutherford, which apparently Agatha Christie did not care for her portrayal of the character. (Jane Marple, in the books, is a small, birdlike woman, and Rutherford - well, she is not).

I admit I like these. I think part of it is I enjoy watching Margaret Rutherford. Strangely, even though they looked really not much alike, she somehow reminds me of my paternal grandmother (and they did not sound AT ALL alike - my grandma was from Chicago, from an upper-middle-class family, but still, clearly Midwestern American). But I was also struck watching Rutherford in "Murder, She Said" - my body has kind of settled into that shape a bit. It's familiar to me. I am probably a bit more chesty than Rutherford was, and maybe I have a bit more muscle tone, but yes, the body shape is familiar. 

I also just like the old British "cozy" mysteries (which Miss Marple definitely fits in with). It's funny, even when something like history distresses me, most of the cozies work to relax me. The movies are a bit different - more modern, and they don't follow the books/stories exactly (at the end of Murder, She Said, it's implied Miss Marple MARRIES! yes, to "Mr. Stringer," who was played by the actress' real-life husband. I've read a little about the relationship -apparently she suffered terribly from anxiety and depression, but somehow he was able to help her cope. ["get you a man who can...'']. And she tried to get him cameo appearances (at least) in every one of her movies after their marriage.

I did manage to add one more row to the crocheted afghan last night.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Wednesday, I watched more live TV than I have in years. CBS This Morning, djt departure, the inauguration, Joe signing stuff, Arlington Cemetery, the walk to the WH, and later, that TV special hosted by Tom Hanks, during which Bill, Geo W, and Barack all say, essentially, "We've got your back, Joe." I got surprisingly weepy. Maybe it's because it was so... ordinary. Expected. Usual.