Sunday, August 23, 2020

Weekend in Pictures

 The biggest thing is that I finished the giant blanket knit of Red Heart's "Hygge" (a fuzzy acrylic yarn. I *think* it's machine washable but I think if I ever wash this I will do it by hand and dry it flat so the cables don't get stretched out of shape)


It's at least 7' long and is almost as wide as a twin bed. It took me over a year to knit but of course I wasn't working on it the full time. I am glad it is done; there is something that is almost a psychic relief to finish a long-term project. It's still too warm out to use it but I probably will this fall and winter.


I also just started a new pair of simple socks (no picture yet - they will just be all stockinette. I am using a yarn from a line named for autocorrect fails. This color way is called "Rusty Unicorns" and I admit for the life of me I cannot think what the name is supposed to be an autocorrect fail FOR. It's an unusual color combo - cream with brown, Tyrian purple, and a deep turquoise. I thought it would self-stripe but now I see it's just a plain variegated.

I also started the manta ray toy I bought a pattern for (and ordered yarn for from Herrschnerr's): 


And the mail seems to be working again. Friday, I got these from my mom:



Those are drawings I did, to my best guess, when I was seven or eight. I made them for my dad - she found them in some papers of his she was going through. (The Redstart drawing was a birthday card I made for  him). She sent them to me and said "Well, if you don't want them you can just toss them" but I tend to be sentimental that way so of course I am keeping them. (I STILL need to get some kind of archival storage for all the bits of paper that have been passed along to me, and also some of the photos I am not framing to put up on the wall). 

Also, my most recent Amazon orders made it to me:

The backpack is important - I had one of my crummy old ones for fieldwork but it's kind of dirty, and I want a dedicated "for work books and equipment" backpack. With doing so much afternoon work from home (suggested we don't stay up on campus every day all day - fewer people means less transmission - and also the fact that we might be told on short notice to either start teaching from home or some of us might have to quarantine, and being able to carry my books and things back and forth every day, this makes it a lot easier - it kind of hurts my shoulder to carry books under my arm.

There's also a pocket on the side to hold a water bottle and I've been filling and carrying one of my reusable metal bottles every day, on the grounds that if there are eventually "asymptomatic carriers" running around, the water fountains may not be totally safe - so easier to just bring water from home. 

I also was able to get more of my preferred brand of almond butter, which can't be bought locally:

I wish I could still eat peanut butter but this kind of makes up for not being able to, it's better than any other brand I've tried. 


Also, I had a weird/dumb idea this morning, because these days my sense of humor is heavily influenced by Internet memes (well, when you spent your summer effectively as a shut-in, you get the funnies where you can)

LOL GET STICKBUGGED:


Later, I bent "knee" joints in the legs so it looks a BIT more authentic (the eyes are a noncanonical addition). It now lives on the screen of my laptop:



1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

you drew better at 8 than I EVER have.