Thursday, February 20, 2020

Some small progress

Of two different sorts.

So, yesterday, after the somewhat-disastrous class on Tuesday, I buckled down and worked pretty much the whole time I wasn't in class. Close to four hours, and actually maybe a bit more than that - I took out time for a little class prep, and I had to read a colleague's post-tenure-review packet.

But anyway, I started on the chapter on analysis of covariance at 7 am with a brand-new, never-before-sharpened Mitsubishi* pencil and here was what it looked at around 5 pm when I was leaving for the day:

pencils


(*Yes, as far as I can tell, THAT Mitsubishi; they even use the triple-diamond logo. They are very good pencils if somewhat spendy but you know? I would rather shell out more money (like about 80 cents each) for GOOD pencils than use the cruddy ones the Wal-mart or Target sells, where the "lead" (actually graphite) is weirdly weak and often snaps when you are trying to sharpen it. These pencils boast "matured graphite" and I have no idea what that is or what process it involves, but it is SO MUCH BETTER. It doesn't break. These are HBs but I have some softer ones on order to see how they work - I often like a softer darker pencil, even if that means I have to sharpen more often. And no, mechanical pencils are a no-go for me: I snap the lead too easily because I hold the pencil very tightly and I press down very hard when I write.)

I've also been picking away at things, added a few more rows to the Hey Girl sweater. This is a project that requires a fair amount of attention because of raglan and neckline increases, and also maintaining the knit-purl texture pattern I decided to do.

Unfortunately, my row gauge has got a bit looser in the intervening months (I don't know either but I started this early last summer and then it sat for months while my life blew up). I'm hoping it blocks out or at least isn't that noticeable

Hey Girl, 20/2/2020

It looks odd, that "detached" part is the collar which I guess gets sewn down later? I'm not entirely sure but I'm hoping it will become clear later.

After some more rows I will also have to start taking buttonholes into account.

No comments: