Wednesday, January 08, 2020

First finished item

Maybe I'll do these in the order I finished them. The first big thing I finished over break....well, it was a BIG thing. Like, two feet big.

size

This is knit off the Blue Whale pattern by Rachel Borello Carroll. It is designed to be knit of bulky yarn. I could not find any blue I liked at Michael's, but this grey (with hints of pink, cream, and blue) Lion Brand Thick and Quick looked really nice in the ball and it knit up well. So she's a grey whale instead.

I named her Belinda.

Hugs!

The pattern called for 15 mm solid-black eyes. I realized I hadn't brought any of those with me, but I did have these larger (I think they are 20 mm) Suncatcher eyes that have sort of a metallic grey back and since they have an "iris" you need to use a larger eye. (Animals look funny if their eyes are too small, and somehow eyes-with-an-iris look smaller than solid black eyes). At any rate, I think it was a good choice:

Belinda face

Like I said, she is very large - about 2 feet long.She took most of 2 balls of the Thick and Quick (I had bought 3 to have one as a "safety" - the pattern suggested it took about 190 yards, and I think this Thick and Quick was an 87 yard ball...so two might have made it, might have not, and I know the agony of running short (also, often thicker yarn is more variable in how it works up). The white part is some random wool bulky weight, I think it was Michael's house brand yarn.

I'm quite pleased with how she came out; this is a nicely-designed pattern and it works up satisfyingly fast.

I also have to note I opened the box from Anita and it was fabric! Pony fabric!

fabrics

I really like the purple one with the sleepy ponies on it and I *think* I have enough for a set of pillowcases, especially if I choose a contrasting fabric for the pillowcase "flange." So I think I will use it for that. The pink one is a flannel and I might use it as the backing on a small quilt, or I might consider making sleep shorts out of it (I have 2 1/2 yards, which I think is not QUITE enough for a sleepshirt for me, and with flannel you want it to be loose...)


2 comments:

anita said...

I'm so glad you like them!

purlewe said...

the whale is GREAT! good job.

The fabric is so cool. I love it!