Sunday, August 18, 2019

a little humbling

In a world where there are so many people who seem to be objectively terrible to each other, how did I manage to wind up with so many good people around me, to the point where someone is low-level rude to me it ruins my whole day and makes me wonder what I did to invite the rudeness?

I have a lot of thank-you cards to write. One to the church in general to thank for the cards (this is sort of traditional) but I feel I should also send one to the CWF for the plant. And to each of the women who brought in food for me. And to the woman who arranged for yard mowing in my absence.

And also maybe now to the two young men she paid to mow once, but who came BACK this weekend and mowed again for me for free. (I COULD have done it myself in the coming week but not having to makes things a lot easier and nicer).

And all my colleagues have been so great in all of this. I have a promise from one that I can leave a day early for the Thanksgiving break (so as to not risk being late to the memorial service, and also, if I get there on time - just watch, that will be a time Amtrak is spot-on on time - I can help my mom with some of the set up stuff). My colleague will proctor the exam I was to give.

And people have offered to help clean house if I need it, or do laundry for me if I need it (I don't, but I appreciate the offer). 

And the minister, in going through the prayer list this morning, referred to the people grieving "especially our dear Erica" and it almost killed me a little to hear that. I mean, I guess I know people care about me and like me but we tend not to be so in-your-face about it, and it does take a person's breath away a little to realize the depth to which other people do care.

Especially for me. Especially given my history with peers in the past where I was made to feel weird or unwanted or "abnormal." And so to have that feeling that somehow, I went from a kid that none of my peers wanted around to an adult that has peers who love her and care about her and value her....that's really something.

I mean, yes. I still bemoan bad human behavior and wish some people could be better. But I also realize that the people right around me are by and large pretty decent people.

No comments: