Friday, July 12, 2019

Random stuff bought

I THINK I'm a little cheerfuller now. I hope I sleep better tonight, that's for sure. I can't think of anything much I can do that would help. (Maybe taking a lukewarm bath - it's too hot for a hot bath right now - with some kind of nice smelling bath stuff in it)

I guess it was a pretty good day. I got food for the coming week:

- the makings for that Cooks' Country skillet macaroni and cheese that I like
- Some chicken fingers, which I might pound out and lightly panfry and make into almost like chicken parmesan
- More spinach; I have been trying to incorporate more into my diet after my eye doctor reminded me how important leafy greens are for keeping one's eyes healthy
- Some mochi. The Kroger's sells packaged mochi in their Asian foods aisle. It's not as good as fresh, but it's still kind of a treat. (I've had the adzuki bean ones before, this time I tried the matcha ones)
- More of the Annie's "more healthful" version of toaster pastries. (I know, I know: but some mornings lately I've had to force myself to eat something* and that tends to appeal when nothing else does, and also the Annie's brand are lower in sodium and sugar than the bog-standard Pop Tarts)

(*I have to eat something with the prescriptions I take because they can either mess up your stomach or tank your blood sugar).

- Some of the Tony's "Chocolonely" chocolate bars. No, I don't ONLY buy woke chocolate but it is good chocolate - the milk chocolate is about the best I can easily obtain.
- Some giant-sized Rainer cherries. So large they almost don't fit in the pitter. And yeah, they're not QUITE as good as the smaller ones but they're still pretty good.
- More oatmeal, that's kind of a staple for me.
- "Good Culture" brand cottage cheese: first, it's good cottage cheese (Yes, I *like* cottage cheese, don't @ me) and it's lower in sodium than many brands
- A thing of kefir. I like kefir and the bacteria are supposed to be good for you.

I also got some stuff at the Target:

A "slap chop" type of thing and more dried apricots (so I have enough now). The recipe for the no-bake apricot ball cookies are 16 ounces of chopped dried apricots, four cups of shredded coconut, a can of condensed milk, some lemon juice (I'm sure that's to cut the extreme sweetness) and a little salt. I want to try making these this weekend; if they are good I might do them for a potluck some time. (Not everyone likes apricots but enough do...and not everyone likes coconut either but I do)

They had their back-to-school stuff out already, so I got some more pens and pencils (I seem to lose pencils pretty easily and I generally prefer them for taking notes) and a couple packs of the legal pads I prefer for note-taking and writing things out longhand (I still write my manuscripts longhand first)

And I bought a "Scruff a Luv." I had seen these around Christmas and it seemed an interesting idea (random stuffed animal you have to clean up - they come all matted up with some kind of resin that has to be washed out). They were on a good sale so I bought one just for giggles.

(Though really? Maybe if you want to do the whole wash-and-groom thing it would be better to go to a thrift store and try to find an abandoned animal that would survive being washed in the sink and dried. Heh. "Adopt, don't shop" but for stuffed toys....and yeah, after hearing about the bedbug woes in the rental property at church and from another person who manages rentals, I think I would ONLY buy a used stuffed toy if I could either wash it, or do something like stick it in a black plastic bag in a closed-up car for a few days to heat up over the 120 F or so it takes to kill bedbugs)

Yes, you do have to wash them pretty hard to get them clean, and they recommend drying them with a hair dryer (I put mine in the dryer on low instead). I got a small turquoise blue dog. Still unnamed, I guess it's a girl (there is a hair bow it wears) but I'll have to think a bit more (They come with adoption certificates you fill out and a collar and tag where you can write their name when you figure it out. Which would have been 100% on-brand for me when I was a kid, I would have LOVED that)

She looks kind of like a Yorkie, only blue. (And yes, I'm wearing my old glasses. I am still breaking the new ones in; I can't wear them full time yet because I am not used to the stronger close up prescription yet. And I may have to get the bows adjusted; they hurt my ears a little)

Edited to add: because a floofy little dog needs a floofy name, she is now Yvette. I have to find a good pen to label her collar and fill in the "adoption certificate."

I also bought the new KnitScene (I have been looking for Quilty but I guess it went under again? Haven't seen an issue for many months....). And a graphic novel telling some of the backstory of Raven from Teen Titans....I kinda like graphic novels some times; they tend to be better stories than some of the books aimed at "adults."

And I got a big piece of double-sided quilted fabric in bright turquoise and purple - almost looks like a Vera Bradley type fabric - and some matching bias binding; I am going to try to figure out a stable blanket for Butterscotch (my big Build-a-Bear pony) and if I do it right, it should be reversible - I think I will use ties made of the bias tape (I bought two packages) at the neck and under the belly.

I also bought some vintage-repro buttons ahead - hopefully one set will be the right size for "Hey Girl" when I get it finished. And a big book of detailed information on crochet, after realizing that there are some things I don't know about it and have had to look up online, and frankly, I find looking in a book easier than looking up online (and also: you're not forced, if you use a book, to sit through a 15 minute video tutorial for something that maybe five good clear drawings could convey).

I looked at both the yarn and the fabric but there was really nothing I needed or particularly wanted. I need to dial back yarn and fabric buying anyway, and use up what I have.

I did buy some more spools of handquilting thread - some white, some pink, some purple. It was a "buy 3, get 2 free" sale, and I had a 25% off coupon for on top of that. And I do plan to try to do more handquilting.

No comments: