Thursday, May 16, 2019

Finished another thing

This was mostly knit while invigilating exams this semester. I think the only bits I did at home was a little knitting at the very end to finish it off.

This was also the thing where I was wondering whether I should play Yarn Chicken and risk if I had enough for a couple more repeats - finally, I weighed the yarn (I have a little digital kitchen scale) at the start of the last repeat I did, had 42 g. Weighed it at the end, had 20-some grams, so I decided not to risk it, even given the inaccuracies of those little kitchen scales (also, you increase by 8 stitches per side each repeat, and that would eat up more yarn)

So I bound it off late last evening (I had spent much of the evening crunching numbers for this manuscript; did more this morning and while it's a pain, I will say I'm seeing some patterns so maybe, just maybe, this can be written up as a Note)

The ball band says to "block" it by pinning it out and laying damp towels over it. Given the current level of humidity, I don't know about that. Also, this is an acrylic yarn, so I'm not sure how much "blocking" would do for it - acrylic, in my experience, does not stretch/settle the way wool does when you wet it and lay it out.

Anyway, I think it looks fine as it is:

James C Brett shawl 3

It came out prettier than I thought it would, both because I wasn't wild about the pattern (it's got kind of weird jaggedy edges) and also this is the yarn where the yarn cake utterly collapsed, I had to rewind it into a ball partway through, and it wound up getting kind of rough and tangly (and I ultimately had to cut the shawl free from the yarn so I could work on it, and  then rejoin the yarn later on.

But yeah, I am a good bit happier with how it looks than I thought I would be.

James C Brett shawl 2

And a front view of it. It goes pretty well with this dress but I also think it would work over jeans and a slightly-dressier t-shirt.

James C brett shawl 1

1 comment:

Joan said...

It did turn out nicely! And you look a lot happier than you sounded in the previous post.