Thursday, May 09, 2019

At loose ends

This often happens to me at the end of the semester. I kind of hit a wall where I wind up just tired and sad. This year is worse, I think, because there were so many unsettled things going on:

- Trying to hire a new person and the search committee eating a lot of our time (We are still waiting for the official offer to be extended, things have to wend their way through offices. Hopefully our first pick says yes. Failing that, hopefully the second pick is still interested.)

- Wondering whether my chair was going to get kicked upstairs (she was) and then who was going to take over being chair (thankfully, not me, and at least that's settled)

- The health issue with my mom (fortunately resolved now; a second test showed no evidence of infection after the antibiotics)

- Lots of students with lots of problems. Some of them beyond their control; others probably largely of their own making. And I had to discern, and be merciful to the ones who got dealt a bad hand (the person whose sister is ill and they are having to help with her kids) and maybe be a little tough with the people who would rather play than go to class.

- Worrying about the dishwasher install, having to call Lowe's again when they were slow to schedule, and the added labor of handwashing my own dishes for a couple weeks. Also had to deal with a dead microwave.

- Lots of other nagging little things....lots of meetings, lots of extra little work things to do.

And now, I don't know: Maybe I push the Whitesboro trip off until Monday. Because my research student from last fall is having one last meeting with me (before heading off to dental school) in the morning tomorrow, but more importantly, something is trying to be arranged on short notice in the way of  a party....and that would be in the evening, and there are few things that steal my ability to enjoy a day out than worrying "Okay, I have to be leaving here no later than 3 pm in order to get back home in time to change and brush my hair again and be at the place by 5...."

We'll see. I don't LIKE pushing it off because it seems I always push off stuff for me.

But it may also not happen tomorrow night: several people have conflicts and it IS very short notice. I might know more in the morning and I guess I could decide then.

And the weather would be nicer on Monday. And I might have that one top done and a better idea of just how much backing I need....And I could leave earlier in the day, because I wouldn't have wait for a meeting with someone, I could just leave right at 9 to get down there when the shops open for the day.

But yes. I am just very tired.

No comments: