Thursday, March 21, 2019

The big thoughts

I am writing this (it's a time-embargoed post) on March 15 - the day after/of (I forget how the International Date Line works) the terrible mosque shootings in New Zealand.

And I admit, at times I have grimdark thoughts about "what if something happened to you, suddenly" (I admit: I will probably wind up drawing up a will of sorts before going in for the colonoscopy this summer. I know 99.9% of the time absolutely nothing goes wrong, but already my brain is going "it's been 30 years since you even had anything like general anesthesia, what if you have a massive allergic reaction and DIE") or I think about being in a train crash when I travel by train (safer, though, than driving, probably slightly less-safe than flying, though flying FEELS much more risky).

And beyond all the "how do I make it easier on the people who will have to deal with all the junk I own," I think about: what would I want to leave behind as thoughts for the people who loved me....or even just the people who kinda liked me (See Tuesday's post...)

And so, I am thinking. What is important to me, I mean, what WORDS are important to me?

A couple:

Choose to be loving towards others.

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Don't punch down. (I would also argue "don't punch up," because I dislike punching of any kind, and I think dealing with people in positions of power is better done by planting your feet firmly and quietly, politely, but firmly telling them what they need to hear)

Listen to people. You don't have to agree. But sometimes listening is just good.

And of course, this:

"Hold fast to that which is good; give no one back evil for evil" (A paraphrase of a bit from I Thessalonians 5, I think verse 21).

And similarly, this is apparently from the Book of Common Prayer: "Go forth into the world in peace; be of good courage; hold fast that which is good; render to no man evil for evil; strengthen the fainthearted ; support the weak; help the afflicted; honour all men; love and serve the Lord..."

And Micah, 6:8 - I even have a ring I wear fairly regularly with just the scripture reference stamped on it, it's enough to remind me: "And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

(Heh - I remember once joking that if I were asked the Conan the Barbarian question ("What is best in life?") that would be my answer, rather than the one given in the movie)

But anyway...Barring some terrible, terrible, and highly unlikely thing, I should be back here posting regularly, either Saturday or Sunday or, if there's some kind of hiccup in travel, Monday or Tuesday. Be well.

No comments: