Monday, March 25, 2019

And good news

Came home from Bell Choir (I think I FINALLY have figured out the crazy quarter-notes in "Seek Ye First" - my part is annoying because it's unpredictable; some bars I play on the beat, others I play on the off beat (the "and," if you're a musician) and some bars I am playing on ONE and two AND THREE and four and and the AND and the THREE are different bells, so it takes a lot of attention).

There was a message from my parents.

Turns out the news about my niece is much better than it could have been. The pediatric orthopedist said it was not a bad fracture, was not displaced and was unlikely to displace unless it got bumped very hard. So she has a splint and a sling for a month, and is on restricted activity (no soccer, but she can probably play the last half or third of the season). No surgery needed, which was a concern - she is very fussy having anything medical done to her, and when she had to have extensive dental work, the dentist got v. worried because she is one of those redheads who is hard to "put down" without very high doses of anesthetics.

I think the orthopod also said "Kids' bones are kind of rubbery at this age and they heal pretty fast" so I guess if she had to have a fracture, better now than later?

I'm just grateful that it looks like it should work out okay. (And probably cheaper than surgery would be. I'm not sure what their health insurance is like - probably pretty good as my sister-in-law is a Federal employee, but there are still always co-pays)

***

So anyway. Am tired. I probably should do a bit more piano practice (lessons start Thursday and I successfully cleaned house - well, except for the bathroom, and I will probably need to re-do the kitchen floor Wednesday evening) and I have my March Doki Doki crate and Gacha Gacha crates to open....and then maybe knit a bit.

I didn't get much done over break knitwise. I did crochet a couple of things, pictures will come later (probably tomorrow afternoon) but I did start the Stroopwaffel socks (free pattern on Ravelry) and they're kind of fun to knit on. I also finished the first of the "Deputy Headmistress" socks but those take a LOT of concentration to get right so the second one may have to wait until I'm a little less tired to work on it.

2 comments:

purlewe said...

I am so glad she doesn't need surgery. And it is good that the doc thinks she will heal up nicely.

I remember playing bells and I remember exactly this type of thing. it is almost like making music AND dancing. But it is fun when you get it.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm not sure I could play more than one bell at a time