Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Two things done

Didn't get a whole lot done today, but I am proud of myself for two things:

1. I got the AAUW scholarship-application spammed out to all the eligible students. This is a Thing for me, because it involves two separate phone calls asking strangers for things - first, a call to the registrar (though I think this year I e-mailed) requesting the e-mail addresses fitting certain criteria, and then a call to the Scholarship Office asking if they will collect the paper packets. (This is A Thing because most scholarships on campus are done 100% electronically but that is a giant pain for us because then *I'd* have to figure out how to condense down reams and reams of Excel spreadsheets and then print them out for the other members who are not on campus...and I know the scholarship office REALLY wants things done their way, but...)

Anyway. I got that done, got them sent out. Had a bad typo ("for fall 2017" rather than "for fall 2019") in the letter, but on the application the dates are right.

This is something I always forget to do (or "forget"*) until later, and the forms are due on March 1, so it's good on me getting it out this early

(* I sometimes "forget" - I think it's a psychological block on my part - to do things that involve calling people up on the phone and asking them for stuff. It's not an intentional forgetting like the teenager who 'forgets' to peel the potatoes their mom asked them to peel for dinner so they don't get asked again - it's like my brain drops a curtain over the task going "Scary interactions with other people are required by this thing" and kind of like I can sometimes ignore the pile of laundry on my bedroom floor, I ignore it for a few days....)


2. I scanned the soil map for the field-trip site for Monday. My original plan was to lug the manual home, and scan it on my home scanner, and when I got an acceptable image, e-mail it to myself, and then incorporate it into the PowerPoint, and then....

as ecology lab was finishing up, a colleague walked in to do something to set up for his lab tomorrow, and I asked him: "Hey, is the departmental scanner fixed?" (We had one, it broke, we didn't have one for a while).

"Oh," he said "The new copier scans. It's really easy** and you can e-mail the scan to yourself as a .jpeg"

(**this is not someone who is Good at Technology, so I figured I could figure it out).

Yup, it was really easy: scanned the appropriate map, sent it to myself, opened it in PowerPoint, cropped it to what I needed, enlarged. Behold:























The very small numbers on there indicate the soil associations and there are pretty much enough different ones that they will only have to repeat twice (and we can get them from different areas) for everyone in the class (68 is "fill," so we won't be sampling there; that's not a natural soil). So that's done and I'm relieved.

I didn't find a fabric in my stash for a backing so I've decided to quickly run to Lulu and Hazel's before they close for the day and see if they have anything....if they have a wide backing that doesn't require seaming, I can probably even leave the top with them to be quilted. I could have looked a bit harder in my stash but I feel like (a) I want a little treat and it's 10% off day and (b) You have to support local businesses you like if you want the kind of local businesses you like, and I know I've griped enough about the plethora of medical-cannabis shops opening up (seriously, the ONLY small businesses opening in the past six months have been those, there are like ten of them now, and I don't think that's a sustainable number) so I should go and spend some money somewhere I want to see keep going.


Edited to add: TIL that if you buy the backing there for a quilt they are going to quilt, *they will piece and seam the backing FOR you* at no charge. (Seaming backings is one of my less-favorite things about making quilts). No, it's not being pre-washed, but since this was a quilt made of pre-cuts, the other fabrics in it have mostly not been pre-washed. (If I wash it, I do it on cold, with a "color catcher" - which work really well - in the machine with it). So it's in the queue - going to be quilted in cream colored thread with a floral pattern. She said it should be done mid-March, which will be good.

No comments: