Monday, January 21, 2019

The day's work

Well, even though I wasn't feeling super great, I decided to try finishing up one of the long-stalled projects I have. This is the "Hello, Garden" quilt from the March/April 2017 "Quilty."

I know I said I "didn't love it" when I saw it laid out, and yeah, that pink might not be the *exactly* right pink (but I was going with what I had on hand). And that was part of the reason why I dragged my feet on finishing it, but I decided: if you finish it up you can start another top (I tend to do one quilt at a time, because of space limitation in my sewing room).

Here it is all set together:

pom pom de paris quilt

I like it better now, but while sewing it up, I thought, "Maybe if you put a light-colored border on that picked up a *little* of the pink, it will look better.

And so I dug around in my stash. The first thing I found would have worked but wasn't ideal, then I found the fabric - a light fabric with a slightly yellowish off-white background (some of the focus fabrics have yellow) and tiny pink flowers that match the pink in the setting fabric and yeah, this is a LOT better to my eye:

close up

I tried to get a "full length" shot of the quilt, but it was after 4 pm at that point, and I was losing my light, and it's also been very breezy here. And I also found out that apparently my new neighbors to the south are surnamed Bumpas, because they have about eight loud hound dogs in their backyard. (I couldn't see them: privacy fence. But they didn't sound like *friendly* dogs to me and that makes me unhappy. Could be they were barking at the OTHER neighbor's cat who was sitting up in my elm tree looking over the fence at them, but I admit I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure they didn't dig their way under the fence - there's a dug-out spot where a previous neighbor's dog made an escape.

Anyway:

hello garden with border

dang wind

I might dig around a bit in my stash tomorrow afternoon/evening to see if I have a suitable back, and take it over to Lulu and Hazel's to be quilted. Or, if I can't find something I like, if I go Wednesday to their shop, I think I get 10% off fabrics....could go right after lab if I remember to bring the quilt with me in the morning.

No comments: