Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Old knitted stuff

This photo is from a few days ago (obviously; taken in my house) but on one of the recent Very Cold days we had, I wore this:

zigzag sweater

I can't remember if I ever posted a photo of it; I think I finished it back around 2003 or so and that was before I had a digital camera and long before I had a Flickr account.

It was from Interweave Knits; called Lightning-Bolt Family Sweater and was published in a bunch of sizes (hence the name). I knit it of some kind of dk weight I ordered from Elann (IIRC). It took me a while to make BUT I've had it for fifteen (wow) years now and I still wear it, so it was worth the work.

One of the other nice things about handknit sweaters: if you save some of the leftover yarn you can repair them. I snagged one of the sleeves of this on something years back and tore a small hole, but I was able to re-knit it with the leftover yarn. So even though they take a lot of time and work, they last forever and you can fix them. (This is also why I try to go with "classic" or "eccentric" rather than "trendy" for the sweaters I make - they won't look as dated 10 years in the future)

No comments: