Sunday, September 23, 2018

Still making stuff

Yeah, I still make stuff, it just seems sometimes my life is busy enough I don't get much done lately.

I do still cook. Today, I made Boston baked beans out of that cookbook I bought in Whitesboro some weeks back - it was a book of recipes compiled by Home Ec teachers (which I guess is now called FCCLA).

Pretty simple - the beans (Great Northern were recommended, and yes, that's what my mom always used), and then an onion, some salt pork, molasses, dry mustard, salt and pepper (I put in less salt than called for) and water. I also added a bay leaf because instead of recycling the bean pre-soak water as recommended (I had always heard that the presoak water contained some of the harder-to-digest polysaccharides and you should dump it off) and I wondered if that draining maybe removed some of the flavor.

They turned out pretty well: beans

And of course, I have bunches left over for meals in the coming week, which makes life easier.

One night this week I might bake biscuits to go with them (but this time use my good old tried-and-true County Fair cookbook recipe; that "three ingredient one" was just not that good, and the County Fair ones are not THAT much more involved, despite requiring you to rub the shortening (I always use butter) into the flour)

I also added a few more rounds on Celestarium over the past week. I am now up to round 70 (of 160 or so; there's one more point where I do a lot of increasing - there are just a few increase rows throughout, where it jumps up rapidly in stitch count)

Celestarium, row 70

I do try to keep good notes of where I am, in case I wind up leaving it long enough that I forget.

I also worked a bit on the current "simple socks." This is a self-striping yarn, I think it was a Lana Grossa? I bought it at the yarn shop in Shreveport when I visited Laura. The colors are kind of odd but I like them:

striped sock

I also just barely started (to get a rough estimate of gauge - I did not do a real gauge swatch because it's going to be close if I have enough yarn as it is, though I'm thinking, as you do the sleeves last and they are sort of elbow-length, I can divide the remaining yarn in two and if I have to make them a bit shorter, so be it).

The yarn is anny blatt "Mango" in an odd green that will probably be better for spring and summer than fall:

start of Anaheim

It's not the most fun yarn ever to knit with, but hey, it was free yarn. I just hope I do have enough to finish this as I doubt I would be able to get more. (I have about 900 yards and the pattern in my size calls for 830). 

Next week is another busy week. I'm hoping I can grab a little time in the evenings to do some knitting, though, those weeks when I have no time for myself are a drag.

No comments: