Saturday, August 18, 2018

a quick update

My mom just called. Things are better or at worst, the same. (Chest x-ray showed nothing getting worse, and maybe some improvement). He's still getting nebulizer treatments and while he's not ready to try walking yet, they are having him stand up and I guess move to a chair. He still has a fever. (My mom, bless her heart, never got familiar with Celsius so I had to tell her what was "normal" vs. "feverish" At least 37 C is one benchpoint I know even if I can't do the conversions quickly in my head)

They also did a Doppler scan to make sure he wasn't developing blood clots in his legs, though with being on a blood thinner that might be less of a concern (the results came back clear).

So yeah, things are holding their own or getting better. My mom did say "this may take a while" so I don't expect he'll be home this week, but at least it sounds like he's getting good care and if being stuck in the hospital is boring I suppose it beats the alternative (if his pneumonia had gone untreated).

She said she'd call again tomorrow night. I almost told her not to bother but then I realized: maybe it's not that I need the updates but she needs someone who isn't going to fuss at her to talk to. (Some of our other relatives do tend to fuss a bit). So I'm fine with that.

Frankly, I'm just relieved things weren't worse. I'm glad I can go to church tomorrow and Wesley Center Board (note to self: run over to office and get a copy of the minutes before the meeting, they will want you to read them) and I can start my classes Monday.

I've tentatively told myself that if things continue to be good, either Friday afternoon after class or Saturday I can maybe make a Sherman run.

Hopefully soon I will be able to return to "regularly scheduled programming." I'm sure none of this is fun for people who don't know my family to read but as part of the function of the blog for me is to get stuff OUT so it doesn't rattle around inside my head....please bear with me...

2 comments:

Debby said...

Based on my experience with my 95 year old aunt, when he is discharged home he will likely have a referral for home health care for a few weeks. Medicare pays. She usually has a nurse once a week or so, and physical therapist 2-3 times a week. This is a Good Thing.

Purlewe said...

Never apologize what you write here. The whole point is that you write it out. I for one am glad to hear what you have to say. It isn't "entertainment" it is catching up with you and with your family. Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.