Friday, July 06, 2018

I don't know

So I'm in my office, but the two big tasks I was setting myself for aren't really so urgent any more:

1. Got an e-mail from the editor of the Proceedings last night with my paper attached and instructions on .pdf editing,. and I was all "O what fresh Hell is this?" because I did the proof-checking Tuesday and had sent it on to him.

Turns out (a) he re-sent all authors their papers after some people apparently treated it as spam and (b) he's at a reunion this weekend and is kind of incommunicado. (Though I might e-mail him to ask if he received my corrected proofs, to be sure)

2. Got the three syllabi for the classes I have 100% control over done (and will send them in around noon Monday, which is the deadline, because yes, I'm salty about being told to do things while on Unpaid Summer). The fourth class is my gen-ed class, we are changing textbooks (and no, I'm not exactly happy about that, and no, I don't have my copy yet so I can't update my lectures for that class) and I don't have the necessary information. The person in charge of that said he'd e-mail it to me Monday, so okay.

So now I don't know: stay in here and try to get a couple hours work on updating my other classes done, or go home and sew?

It's REALLY hot (well, really humid) out there so going anywhere (other than home) seems unappealing - even though the stores and things are air conditioned, getting there and walking from parking to the store, bleah. I've already done what workout I could (the humidity just kills me) and the daily Duolingo and 20 minutes of piano practice....

I started a new piece today, an arrangement of Thomas A. Dorsey's "Precious Lord, Take my Hand" which has long been one of my favorite hymns for a long time. (Dorsey wrote it - modifying the old hymn tune Maitland - in 1932 as a response and a way of consoling himself when his wife died in childbirth)

(An odd interesting other link: The original composer of Maitland - George Nelson Allan - studied at the school that later became the prep school I attended

I'm also working on a short piece by Stephen Heller, about whom I knew next to nothing before I chose the piece. Turns out he was from longer ago (I assumed he was late 1800s to early 1900s, but he died in 1888). Apparently he wrote a lot of "instructional" type pieces. This one is called "Chimes of Love" and is simpler than I thought it would be when I first chose it. There is a lot of crossing your left hand over your right (which tells me it was either an instructional piece written for children, where the novelty of crossing over would matter, or perhaps it was a "parlor piece" written for young women to show off their pretty hands when doing the crossing over. I do know a lot of the sort-of-simple "parlor piano" that young women learned years back was partly a bit of showing-off, or a socially-acceptable way to have potential suitors in their houses...)

I also NEED, this weekend, to do the little star thing to mail off to my niece. I keep forgetting that.

No comments: