Friday, July 13, 2018

A little quotation

What I was talking about yesterday, about sometimes indulging in something you might have enjoyed as a child being okay - I saw this over at LadyWaterfall's tumblr (a Pony blog) but I guess she didn't actually write it:

If you’re an adult, do the stuff you couldn’t as a kid.

Like, me and my sister went to a museum, and they had an extra exhibit of butterflies. But it cost £3. So we sighed, walked past, then stopped. We each had £3. We could see the butterflies. And we did it was great. We followed it up with an ice-cream as well because Mum and Dad weren’t there to say no.

I was driving back from a work trip with 2 other people in their early 20s, and we drove past a MacDonalds. One of the others went “Aww man, I’d love a McFlurry.” And the guy driving pulled in to the drive through. It was wild. But it was great.

I went to a park over the weekend and I was thinking “Man, I’d love to hire one of those bikes and cycle round the park.” It took me a few minutes to go “Wait, I can hire one of those bikes!” I guess what I’m saying is, those impulsive things you wanted to do as a kid - see the dinosaur exhibit, play in the fountains with the other kids, lie in the shade for 2 hours - you can do when you’re an adult. You have to deal with a whole lot of other bull, but at least you can indulge your inner 8 year-old."


Maybe not so much on the "getting a McFlurry" or similar (at least not until my bloodwork comes back and my blood sugar and cholesterol are all OK), but....yeah. My box of little toys is on its way to me from the Etsy seller, it's supposed to be here Monday.

And yeah, maybe there is stuff I really CAN'T do (I don't think a pony could support my weight; it might even be a struggle for a smallish horse, I don't know), and there's some stuff I wouldn't be comfortable doing (And some stuff I wouldn't want to do....) but yes. This is why I have cartoon-character band-aids in my medicine cabinet (the "flesh" ones don't match my flesh anyway - I don't know who they were designed for but they don't work for most skin tones, it seems). And why I like cartoons.

But yeah. Maybe what I need to do more is look for the little things that would have made me happy as a child and just DO them.

1 comment:

purlewe said...

I once dated someone who was always game for any food related plans. So we went to a wedding in TN and we scheduled a tour of the city thru the hotel.. and no one came to take us on our tour. So me, my ex, and 2 other people got in my rental and I drove to all the sites they mentioned and we took our own tour. While driving back I saw a Krispie Kreme shop (and the sign said HOT, not that it mattered to me. I was a KK newbie) Anyway I say I had never had one and I was going to go back. I love donuts and any new donut experience can be fun. And I do a BIG circle around the block and come back.. listening to the folks in the back seat saying "awww. why are we doing this? that seems silly" My ex was totally game and says "hey fine, I am getting a dozen donuts for the car. You can eat them or not." and we order the donuts and b'c the car was oddly shaped (or maybe my ex was navigating I can't remember) we hand the donuts to the back until we get to the next destination. And we arrive and I ask for my donut and they already had theirs in the back. Since then my attitude is don't wait for joy. make joy. grab the donuts when you can. who knows, I might never get another KK again. (I did last yr get my 2nd KK experience. LOL)