Friday, June 22, 2018

Onion ring time

I mentioned my own homemade onion rings. I thought about them all day and realized I wanted some, and also, I had some yellow (organically grown, even) onions on hand. So I cut one up and made them.

It's pretty simple, but: Cut the onion into thin rings or strings (sometimes you can't cut them evenly) and soak in milk for about a half hour. Then mix up flour and whatever seasonings you like (seasoned salt is good but I didn't have any so I used paprika and poultry seasoning and a little salt). Pick the rings out of the milk and dump them in the flour while you heat some oil (I use corn oil) in a skillet over medium-high heat.

I usually fry the rings for about five minutes. I like the onion cooked and soft but not too hard and crispy on the rings (a few of them got a little overdone, I might not eat those).

They don't keep over well - this was about one smallish onion and yes, I can eat that in one sitting.

I find these better than commercial onion rings which often have far too much breading on them. I prefer thin sliced onion, almost no breading, and nothing heavy or crunchy or breadcrumb-enhanced...

No comments: