Tuesday, June 12, 2018

One more vintage

This was the real prize among the bag of vintage doll clothes and I think it's why I bought the bag in the first place:

vintage Barbie sweater

Cardigan sweater, knit out of a pale duck-egg blue fingering-weight yarn (I think it is wool: probably sock yarn). It looks like it was knit from hem to hem, with the sleeves made by casting on a lot of stitches at the bottom of the sleeve (at any rate: there is no armhole seam, and the direction of the knitting on the sleeves is consistent with them being made that way). The under arms of the sleeves almost looks like it's grafted, rather than sewn. And then there are the beads-and-sequins as decorations....

It doesn't really match with anything I currently have for the dolls so that's why there's a kind of awful pink knit dress on under it.



 And this is Cinnamon's current outfit. It was a random Amazon purchase, though if I'd waited and looked at the Wal-Mart I might have got it for a better deal....unfortunately the Target and Wal-mart here are very hit-and-miss about this kind of thing, and if there's something I see that I want online, it's sometimes better to order it.

random barbie outfit

The outfit did NOT come with the shoes, but those little t-strap blue shoes from the "Tall/Curvy shoe pack" work, and they are my FAVORITES that came in that pack.

I really think the curvy Barbies look better in the clothes than the conventional slimmer ones. Maybe that's because I'm closer in shape to them, I don't know. Or maybe they have a tiny bit more realism. (I know there have been attempts to make a "realistic scale fashion doll - there's the Lammily, which seems much-despised on the doll blogs, and there was one before her, more than 20 years ago now, that I forget the name of. But they never looked that good because in toy size, you have to exaggerate some things, I think: a strict scaling-down of a human body would have too short a neck, or too-big feet, or something, in the smaller size).

Unfortunately, the few articulated curvies out there get snapped up REALLY fast, either by resellers who then inflate the prices, or by doll modders who then remove the heads, or take the dolls apart, or whatever. I get that that's their right but it's frustrating to never be able to find a product that should be abundant.....

And yeah, the joints being visible. I remember the rubbery-legged Barbies of old with the click-click knee joints. My understanding is that a lot of them, the plasticizer went bad over time, so the old dolls are now sticky. And I remember some of my friends, the knee joint would break after you played with it too much (or your brother grabbed it and overextended the joint too much) and then you'd have a sad Barbie with a leg that just flopped, and they don't have replacement knees for dolls. I don't mind the "in pieces" joints like the modern dolls have; they seem more likely to be sturdy and hold up, and they hold a pose better. I admit I am annoyed that the standard "Fashionista" dolls, some of which have kind of cool outfits, don't come articulated. (Again, some of the doll-modders will buy a fashionista and an articulated doll and rip the head and clothes off the fashionista, and put them on the articulated body.)

No comments: