Wednesday, May 23, 2018

And I'm here

The trip up was...okay. I wonder if Amtrak is having to cut corners. I was in the "crew dorm" (some of the roomettes are sold for "revenue" and have regular passengers in them) and there wasn't a regularly assigned attendant - I had to go down to the diner car and ask if there was a reservation for me, and I was worried about getting my bed put down, but then the other car's attendant showed up and did it. (She was not, however, present to help me get off - so, no tip, and I don't feel too bad about that.)

The bus was fine once I was on, but again there were no signs telling us where to go to get the bus, and I only figured it out based on my memory of the previous time.

But I'm here now.

I acquired two patterns, one for a simple sheath type knit dress that will work with a piece leftover from my mom's stash (and she's perfectly happy for me to use it up). I got a second pattern that is a little more flared and I wound up buying a knit fabric for it - partly because the ones my mom had that I liked, there wasn't enough of (most of them were yard-and-a-half pieces, which is enough for the straighter dress, but not for the flared one) but I found a really pretty print of feathers (it is pink - they call the color "pomegranate" if that helps). I did also find a pattern for pajama shorts and another piece of funky (in the design sense, not the smell sense!) old knit my mom had stashed away - it has little primary-colored fruit on it, which, it might have been cute as a dress for me when I was a little kid but it will work better as pajamas for an adult.

I've also half-promised her to do a bit of cleaning in the basement: we could not locate her old Stretch and Sew patterns but they must be there somewhere. (There are also 20 year old tax records that could almost certainly be shredded).

I also have mowed the lawn and done a bit of knitting and I baked a birthday cake for my mom (her birthday is today).

2 comments:

Judy said...

Tell your mom Happy Birthday for me.

purlewe said...

Glad you made it safe. Enjoy sewing!