Friday, March 30, 2018

Kinder Eggs Not

There is a version of Kinder Eggs on the market in the US now, but they contain a hard crunchy thing, it seems like, and I don't eat those, and I also heard tell the toys were "disappointing"

But, there are other variants. The local Wal-Mart carries a few "Finders Keepers," including, relevant to my interests, one with MLP figures in it.

But guess how they get around the "choking hazard" thing that is the (alleged) reason why traditional Kinder Eggs cannot be sold here?

I will show you.

1. They come in a  box:





2. Open the box, this is what you have:




Yup. A presumably-hollow (well, it feels like it) chocolate egg, and a separate capsule with the toy in it. Not....quite as surprising as Kinder Surprise, but then again there are something like only eight different figures and they are all pictured on the back of the box. (Mane six, plus Celestia, plus Cadence and yes they spell it that way on the box and not the copyrightable "Cadance," which I have NEVER liked)

3. The chocolate:




It's the typical over-sweetened shiny cheap milk chocolate you find in these things. Not great, but it's still chocolate. I thought maybe they had added another fat in place of the cocoa butter because it seems meltier, but maybe they just dumped more soy lecithin in it or something. (The chocolate is made in Mexico and the toy in China, for those of you who keep track)

4. The toy

I am...surprisingly pleased. It's a wee little (smaller than the blindbag figures) Applejack AND SHE HAS HER HAT and the figure seems properly detailed and everything. And the Appletini size is DEFINITELY pleasing. Hang on...

5. A comparison:

Blindbag (Rainbowfied version) AJ on the left, Appletini on the right. And Appletini's coloring may be less true but somehow she's cuter - I really like how they styled her mane.

(I bought a second one of these and am now tempted to open it. I HOPE I got a different one. I would really like a wee tiny Princess Celestia but we will see....)


Update: Opened the second one of these on Saturday. I got a Breezie-sized Fluttershy:

Honestly, I look at these, and think, "These are what the blind bags COULD have been....








No comments: