Saturday, February 17, 2018

Finally, something finished

Work has eaten my life of late.

First, this was revising papers for publication (the fact that I have heard from the Proceedings that "everything looks good" tells me I'm done with that one, and I haven't heard from ONPS so I'm hopeful that means it's in the final cleaning-up stages). Then the Science Olympiad tests (I finished the junior-level one today; I can use a lot of that, with some changes and modifications, for the senior-level test). And meetings. And next weekend is pretty much eaten up (the Olympiad, then Sunday is a lunch at church and a Wesley center board meeting)

But I did manage to finish one little thing:

hat and mitts

No, not the gloves; have had those done for a while. The matching hat:

hat


I'm delighted I won at "yarn chicken" with these (turns out it wasn't even that close - I have a little chunk of the yarn left over). The mitts are the "Matane" mitts (pattern by Catherine Côté) that I finished over break. The hat is the excellent and simple Scraptastic Hat by Jane Tanner. This is a knit-in-the-round fingering-weight hat - you can make it out of all one yarn (it's excellent for self-patterning yarns) or out of bits and pieces of leftovers. It makes a fast, fun hat that is easy to wear and is comfortable - and it would work for anyone; it's not "gendered" in its look. (It's the one I made the Uranus hat - which I still wear from time to time - last year). 

I finished the hat late last evening; I had knit most of it over break and just had the decreases left to do. Finally, I just decided, "Maybe I can finish it in about a half hour" and I was right; I caught the 9:30 pm re-run of "Bob's Burgers" (Yes, I still enjoy it, I even enjoy episodes I've already seen) on Cartoon Network and managed to finish it off. 

The yarn I used is a String Theory Colorworks (her Continuum self-striping) in a color called Temporal Rift which I am GUESSING is an homage to the Fourth Doctor's scarf, because the colors are similar. I wanted it for mitts, and once I started on the mitts, I thought, "I bet I'd have enough for a hat, it would be nice to have a matching hat"

You can see the effect that the diameter of the piece in question has on the stripe width, which is kind of fun - fatter stripes on the smaller-diameter gloves, thin stripes on the hat (it's about 22" in diameter; I made it a little big - it's unlikely to blow off and a looser hat is less likely to mess up my hair). 

Oh, and the shirt? This was one of those online shirt-shop purchases (Threadless? Red Bubble? I forget where) Here's a better photo (albeit one where I have a weird expression; I don't know what I was thinking there): 

Quiet night at home

It says "Quiet Night at Home Club" which I love dearly. It's also a nice shirt in that it's not TOO heavyweight - the fabric is a thicker interlock than a typical t-shirt, so is warmer than a long sleeved t shirt would be, but it is thinner (and not fleecy) than a sweatshirt, so it's a good inbetween shirt. 

(ETA: It's from Threadless. I bought it at the same time as I bought a navy blue t-shirt with a snowy owl on it - I saw the artist for the snowy owl shirt's work somewhere, and liked it so well that I wanted a shirt with the owl on it. And then I saw this too and really liked it. It's called a "French Terry Crew-Neck" so I guess French Terry is the fabric....)

No comments: