Friday, February 23, 2018

Another little gift

Well, for one thing: My Deramores' order came. As I was suspecting, it DOES ship direct from the UK, so it took a while. (Though I will admit a slight annoyance over getting DAILY advertising e-mails from them, and yet, they could not send my package so there was any tracking info. I was planning on "They have 'til March 1, and then if it doesn't come, I am e-mailing them and asking what is up")

I haven't opened it yet. I will, shortly

(ETA: I did. Pretty! And I think the Stylecraft brand 100% acrylic is far, far nicer in texture than any of the US 100% acrylics I have worked with. Deramores' takes a long time to get here but I may well be ordering from them again if there is some UK-specific brand I want in the future. Heck, the Stylecraft acrylic would be nice for things like Ponies....it IS a dk so they would be a bit smaller, but it seems nicer than Red Heart or what I can get here. Yes, nicer even than Vanna's Choice (my previous favorite) by a long shot)


I also realized: when I bought this, I was thinking about the number of squares (somewhere around 90) that need to be made, and there are six different colors (one gets used for every 5th and 8th round....) and I was almost on the point of figuring out a combinatorial to see how many different ways you can do the blocks....I may still do that and just do them in order, so all the ones that are yellow-white-red-mint-pink-green-mint get done first, for example, and then I do yellow-red-white...and so on. I will have to sit down and crunch numbers. (Yes. I am a bit of a math geek. But I think doing it that way will (1) make it less likely I run out of any color and (2) I have the best mix of colors.)

I had planned to go to the quilt shop to buy fabric for the sashing on a quilt I want to make with one of my "hoarded" layer cakes - I think this was one I bought at HNT before I even knew they were going to be closing down.

I didn't go, though. I am slightly bordering on a migraine (it's been very rainy here, and I suspect the molds are getting to me, and I also had some asthma issues in the classroom this morning) and after running to Green Spray (for Anasazi beans) and the post office (to send off my ITFF card-swap card, which is going to Europe), I felt like my driving was bad enough, and also my peripheral vision was "triggering" on things it should not be (interpreting angle-parked cars as "oh no, something is backing out towards me") which sometimes happens when I'm close to having a migraine, so I figured it was best to just get home.

That's when I found the Deramores' package. And more in the mail: my card-swap card, and also a nice card ("Birthday Princess," with a knitted toy unicorn on it) and a squishy My Little Pony blindbag:

Princess Celestia, or perhaps as she should better be known:

SQUISHLESTIA

So that was good.

(I might take my birthday afternoon and go to the quilt shop. I THINK they asked my birthday when I joined their club. I don't KNOW that they do anything special but they might....)

I did also find out - by e-mailing the head guy for the Sci Oly - that I don't need to be there at the crack of dawn like I thought; I just need to pick up my materials "any time before your event" and my first event is around 11 am so....maybe I not set my alarm clock (I will still likely be up around 5 or 6) and I do my Sunday school lesson tomorrow morning before going over. I figure I don't need to be there crazy early because I doubt anyone will be parking in our lot, and anyway, the first events are at 9 - and I can probably be ready and over there before 9.

(And geez, if I had known: I could have gone to Mart of Wal tomorrow morning instead of this noon, which I think was partly how I got the headache; it seemed to be Entitled Jerk day and several times I had to ask multiple times for someone to move out of the way so I could get through an aisle or even out the stupid doors)


No comments: