Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Yes, I'm chatty

Deal with it. You can surf away if you don't like it.

(Wait. That sounded harsh, didn't it? I'm sorry. It's been one of those weeks).

* I ran out to obtain a few perishable items (more organic milk, which meant a run to the Mart of Wal, and yes, it wasn't fun). But on the way home I wound up next to a large pickup hauling one of those box trailers. As I pulled up to it, I was like, "Wait....what?" because all I could see clearly on it were the letters PMS.

It was from Percell Mechanical Services, apparently an HVAC company. I hope they painted their truck that way intentionally.....

and yes, I admit, I laughed. And I thought, "Who among us women hasn't felt like she was pulling a large trailer full of PMS behind her at times?"

(Edited to add; I find out online their tagline is something like "We take care of your hot flashes" so while that's perhaps not quite biologically accurate, at least it tells me they saw what they did there.)

* I forced myself to go back to campus after lunch (even though I didn't really want to) and spend an hour reading research papers. I went back to the Pomodoro method at tomato-timer (if you're unfamiliar, I think they explain it there). This helps keep me on track because instead of going "you work for some nebulous amount of time until you feel "done," it is more "Work for this not-very-long period of time then take a short break, then work again." I used it this summer when prepping the new class and it was very helpful.

So I feel a little cheerier. I think part of my distress over a lot of the stuff going on is I don't have control over, and when I can work on something that I either have control over, or that takes my mind out of that (reading about microbivore mites and thinking about how I might be able to do similar research) makes me feel better.

* My Ulta box came. This may be a preferable way of obtaining what I need when I'm busy. Also, the store near me doesn't carry everything....And it's frustrating to travel that far just to find stuff out of stock.

And this came. (Yes, yet another Pony):

Baby Crumpet. A First-tooth pony:

(Dr. Jan Pol says: "Something is wrong with that horse's dentition...")

She's supposedly a variant (or, the seller said: maybe just faded) because I guess the cutie mark on these was usually a bright pink, and this one is blue.

I got her because of the teapot cutie mark, but also because I have Baby Welliboot already and I felt like he needed a similarly-named sister (or perhaps cousin: he is a unicorn, she is an Earth Pony*)

(*Earth Pony cracks me up because it makes me think of how we used to call plain milk "white milk" (as opposed to "chocolate") in school. I don't even know how that started but I'm sure it was in use long before I was in school. But it's like....it's giving something an added descriptor that is kind of the base model....a unicorn is a pony with an added horn, a pegasus is a pony with added wings....)

* Welp, no NCIS tonight. State of the Union speech (which I haven't watched in forever, no matter who is in office) and before that.....they're previewing the Super Bowl commercials? Really? I mean, I get that the commercials are a big thing but....people are gonna watch 'em twice, or "spoil" them for the actual game? At any rate: I am considering running a hot bath and reading on "Back from the Land" while in the tub (and enjoying the irony of enjoying the use of running water, and in fact, something some would argue was a big waste of water, while reading about people who decided, Because of Reasons, that they wanted to try living without running water)


1 comment:

Lynn said...

As you know, I'm not into ponies but I must say that one is a real cutie. I like the color.