Friday, December 01, 2017

Some happy things

Yes, I do have to go to Stillwater tomorrow, and I still have exams to grade this evening (so pictures of some of the stuff I mention here will come, probably Sunday).

But, several good things I have to document:

1. Had my last piano lesson of the fall. The deal here is, my teacher, who works here in town but lives over beyond Madill, comes by after she gets off work - usually around 5:45. This is not so great in the winter because it means she drives home in the dark, so we don't usually have lessons after the time change (this year, because of some weeks of her being absent and some of me being absent, she had to do a couple last lessons after the time change to use up the 10 I had paid for).

Anyway, as she was gathering up at the end of today's lesson, she said, "Call me when the time changes" which means she still wants to teach me, which makes me happy. I know it's extra effort for her but she does make a *little* extra cash (I don't think she charges enough and I've mentioned that to her). I suppose since she's already in town it's no extra gas cost, just her time, and she once commented I was one of the most "low maintenance" students she'd ever had (in that I know the basics, I mostly pick my own music, and I practice enough to make it worthwhile for her), so maybe it's not really a burden but lets her keep her hand in music-teaching a little.

2. My tree skirt came and it is AWESOME. It is perfectly retro and it goes with my house because it looks like one from the late 40s or early 50s and I am SO happy now that I bought it.

3. I have the head and body done for the Sleepy Scootaloo and if I can get the exams graded reasonably quickly I might try making her legs tonight. I want to get this done before break because I think she'd make a nice little "traveling companion" for in my bag....

4. I am almost done with Grasse Matinee; I am within 15 rounds on the last sleeve. I might even finish it on Sunday, which means I figure out something else for invigilating knitting during the three in-person exams I give this year (I have one take-home, but if the students time handing it in right, I can be grading on the early arrivals while I wait for the rest). I might pull the Augusta cardigan back out and work on that; that seems simple enough, even the fronts with cables.

5. I am starting my cardvalanche for Christmas - I have my CPAAG names to send out to, and other friends' names/addresses, and I also made the offer on ITFF and a couple people took me up on it. And I found out I could buy International stamps and then send cards (an ounce or under) from any mailbox, which makes things easier. I have someone in Portugal and someone in the Netherlands to send a card to. (And I sent a box off to a friend in the UK, her card is in there with the little gift).

I also plan to send cards to the couple of "shut in" people (mostly people in recovery from illness or surgery) at church.

I like sending out cards. It makes me happy and feel more connected to my various friends different places.

6. My Applejack tree ornament came, so my Mane Six are now complete. Her eyes are a *little* wonky (often a problem when you mail order stuff) but I'm trying not to complain too much about it.

7. I have a little display of Santas and snowmen on my piano (my Nativity set is on the coffee table) and I also pulled down Krispie (the Christmas-stocking pony: she was originally a premium from Rice Krispies so I named her after them) and set her up with the Santas.

8. And my newest-old ponies came: Tippy Toes, another ballerina pony, and Snookums (a baby unicorn who WAS part of a set of twins, but I only have her. And now I suppose I will wind up looking for, and eventually ordering if I find, Sniffles, who is her brother (at least, in the UK, he is listed as male).

No comments: