Thursday, December 07, 2017

Moment of Christmas (II)

I have no idea if this is considered offensive now or not. But this is one of those "gag" records that used to make the rounds. It's mocking the northern-Midwest-Swedish-immigrant accent (and lifestyle).

I am not Swedish, but my mom grew up in a community that had LOTS of Scandinavian immigrants and a few of the in-laws in her family were Finnish or Swedish.  (In fact, I may have first heard this through one of them. I do think some of the ethnically-European folks tend to be less bothered by these kinds of things; it may have something to do with the fact that they faced less hardships than some immigrant groups did).

But yeah, to a certain extent, I do "yust go nuts at Christmas." Not quite like Yorgi, but I find myself thinking "I just go nuts at Christmas" over and over again as I put up more decorations, or arrange to send more cards, or whatever.



I think this used to be a fixture on Dr. Demento as Christmas approached.

And then of course, there's this, from another European immigrant group. It's the kind of song that I'm good with hearing maybe ONCE at Christmas time (it ran on Sirius XM's "nostalgic Christmas" channel the other day as I was driving in to work).

Again, I have no idea if this is offensive to Italian people or not. I grew up around a few Italian-American people and they tended to just laugh at these kinds of things.


No comments: