Friday, September 01, 2017

a poor start

Am feeling slightly nauseated so I didn't totally complete the workout. But I was sitting here when I heard noises....weird noises. At first I thought, "oh no, do I have mice again" but then I realized it sounded like it was coming from the front porch.

And then I realized it kind of sounded like someone trying to open the front door. (I know I locked both the storm door and the big front door last night).

There are random criminals who wander around and try to open doors - some people, even here in town - still leave their doors unlocked. I understand the need in some cases (if you are elderly and in poor health and might need the paramedics to get in) but it's otherwise not a particularly wise idea because there are random criminals. And as I've said before - I would prefer my home be merely burgled than home-invaded. (So: I always keep the doors locked when I am away from home BUT ALSO WHEN I AM AT HOME).

I considered doing what I almost had to do back in Ann Arbor when some drunk dudes showed up to the wrong apartment and tried to unlock the door - yell, in my meanest and deepest voice "TELL ME WHO THE HELL YOU ARE AND WHY YOU ARE HERE OR I AM CALLING THE COPS THIS INSTANT" but instead I flipped on the porch light, and for good measure, the big living room light and the dining room light. So anyone could see (a) I'm home and (b) I'm awake and likely aware of what's going on.

I didn't hear anyone run away, or any kind of "oh ****, this isn't 807" (which is what I heard all those years ago in Ann Arbor), so I don't know.

It's remotely possible I had mail misdelivered and some neighbor who was out uncharacteristically early was trying to drop it off. Or, more likely, it was some critter trying to climb the doorframe for unspecified reasons - there are cats in the neighborhood and I have seen both raccoons and opossums around so it could be something like that.

But yeah - am waiting until after the sun is up to check for sure. (And dangit, my shillelagh is over at school.)

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Maybe you should consider putting a dusk-to-dawn bulb in your porch light. I don't remember where I got it but mine is a socket that you screw into the light fixture and then you screw a regular bulb into it. There's an "electric eye" thing in the socket which turns on the light. when it's getting dark and off again when there's full daylight. You do have to leave the light switched on from inside the house all the time.

Charlotte