Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Wednesday afternoon random

Mail today was odd.

The bad: a solicitation from one of the local funeral homes. I get the whole idea of pre-paying, but...it's unsettling to get an ad in the mail. (And yes, I probably should figure something out; one CAN get hit by a car or some such, even if one doesn't want to think about that).

The good: PONY MAIL!

This was from a fairly new seller on Etsy (All The Ponies) and I am pretty happy. I think the curls are original so even though they're a little messy, I'm not going to mess with them too much:

Cherries Jubilee, the namesake for the plump cherry-orchard-owning pony in G4. (I like how G4 does those little callbacks - I suspect some of the parents of the child-fans were kids themselves who had the G1 ponys. Or, shoot, the grandparents - I am old enough to have a teenaged grandkid if I had had a baby in my early 20s and that child had a child in THEIR early 20s....and the girls who played with G1 would only be 4-5 years younger than I am).

this is a color scheme I didn't have a pony in yet, and I just liked her, and she was inexpensive enough.

I really need to get proper shelving for my Ponies. I made room for the Monster High dolls on the top of one of the bookcases in my bedroom but I also want to put up some wall shelves for them. The problem is finding ones I can hang without too much wall-anchoring (so: not very heavy shelves). The bedroom has wallpaper over paneling, which tells me the plaster underneath may be trashed. (The rest of the house seems to have been re-done with drywall, and not so perfectly either - I can see the seams).

I dunno. My ponies and my Monster High dolls just make me happy. I can't explain why. I suppose it's that they are something relatively uncomplicated. 

***

I'm also thinking about crocheting YET ANOTHER earlier-gen pony: going to look in my stash and see if I have some white yarn, and bright yellow....and I might make a G4-ized Surprise (with the "spiral curls" for her hair like I did for Elinor. And I confess, I'm also considering doing a bunch of curls in a bright pink and replacing the hair on my Pinkie Pie. The boucle was nice, but it seems like it's not holding up so well, and I don't want a bald Pinkie. I don't know. I might make Surprise first and see how I like the all-over bouncy curls).

Suprise was the original model for Pinkie in the Friendship is Magic series, but then they decided to use Pinkie instead, and changed that character from a pegasus to an Earth pony. 

and if I have the yarn in-stash, all it will cost me will be time...

***

Even though I'm supposed to limit salt (and I try hard to), I've been craving saltier things of late. Today I broke down and bought some deli roast beef to make a sandwich for dinner, hoping that takes care of my craving (I really wanted a deli-made roast beef sandwich but we don't have a good deli here).

I know the old thing about "you crave what your body needs" is mostly hogwash, but I wonder if I've been having some electrolyte issues this summer and maybe even went hyponatremic (a little) at one point: I had one evening where I got VERY shaky on my feet getting out of the shower and I had to be careful for the rest of the night.

***

And yes, once again I'm grateful we now have Pruett's. We still have the same people who shop there as used to shop at the old place (entire families forming a "flying wedge" maneuver that blocks an entire aisle, or, as I saw today - people walking in a line six across going out the door so I had to step back for a moment and let them pass before I could go in) but at least the store is now cleaner and has a better selection and I am looking forward to the renovation that will make it look a bit prettier (I hope).

And yes, I know, this brands me TOTALLY as what someone I know calls "bougie," but you know, it matters to me. When I may go SO FEW places in a week (home, work, church, and grocery store are all the places I go some weeks), it does kind of make a difference to have  a place to shop in that's not aggressively ugly. (That's part of what bothers me about wal-mart: high echoey ceilings, and God help you if you go there with a headache on a day when there are kids testing out the echoes by screaming, little iPad tv things on the endcaps blaring ads, pallets of stuff blocking the aisles....and the other day, when I was in there, it was so DARK that I wondered if they were having a power outage. I think it was that they had the lights turned down and it was overcast so little natural light was coming in the skylights, but it was a little eerie. I mean, I know: good on them for saving energy but...)

But anyway. Also the people who work at the Pruett's seem pretty nice, and are less surly than the average wal-mart clerk. (That suggests to me working conditions there are better than at wal-mart.)


***

I also want to start a new sweater soon. I'm thinking of a cabled sweater that is in (I think) New England Knits and some honey-colored yarn I have for it deep in the stash, and it would be good to start working down my stash.

(I think secretly I hope working on fall/winter things will call down cooler weather - it's been pretty awful here this week and while I'm grateful to have good air conditioning in the house, it's not much fun to leave the house).

But I need to finish a few more things first, I think.


No comments: