Thursday, June 29, 2017

and another "ugh"

I have to do a little accounting of how people perform in one of my classes on stuff - it is a class all our majors take, and I have a couple of large capstone type projects in it. So every year my chair needs the summary data of how people did (average, what that translates to as a percentage, standard deviation, and N).

Well, I had to do it for the fall 2016 class.

And I remembered: this was the class where I had the promising student who died.

(No, I didn't include him in the N - he was gone before the paper and presentation, so there is no data point. I DID include someone who skipped them - people sometimes do - as a 0, but I didn't include Phillip's data).

but now I'm sad again.

2016 was just a pretty terrible year.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I'm the kind of person who always thinks, "next year will be better," but I saw this on Twitter yesterday:

2016: Everyone I admire died. (paraphrased/ can't remember exact wording)

2017: This is why we can't have nice things.

2018: ?

And there went a little of my natural optimism.