Sunday, July 03, 2016

Finally finished something!

I finished the Sloane shawl last night and blocked it over night.

I photographed it while it was blocking but hadn't realized until I took it up this morning that my finger was in front of the lens:

sloane drying

Oh well.

Also, I really want to order another set of those blocking squares; for bigger things like shawls the nine I have are not quite enough.

This one took just shy of three skeins of Berroco's "Vintage" in the color 5192 - sort of an oxidized-brass color. (And this is the last bit of yarn I bought from the local yarn/quilt shop before they closed, sigh.)

One nice thing about the pattern is you can keep knitting on it until it is "big enough" or you are close to running out of yarn.

Here it is on.

sloane shawl


I made it bigger than the minimum recommended size because I am a bigger person (broad shoulders) and I also dislike when you are wearing a shawl (whose purpose, really, is to keep you warm) is too small to do that job.

Here it is from the back:

sloane back

The stitch pattern is a modification of moss stitch or rice stitch (depending on whether you are the western or eastern side of the Atlantic Ocean). It does get tedious after a while as the shawl grows because effectively ever other row you are alternating knits and purls, which really slows you down.

***

Plans this afternoon are to either knit or quilt. Depends on if I can find something I want to watch. I was EXPECTING a marathon of We Bare Bears on Cartoon Network; that is what the on-screen schedule claimed. But it turns out they're showing that awful Smurfs movie instead, and apparently after that it's "Clarence."

I will refrain from commenting "adulthood in a nutshell" but it's another one of those situations where I was hoping for something I would enjoy and got something I didn't want instead. 

1 comment:

Kucki68 said...

Might be a bit of a pain with the pattern stitch, but it looks really nice. Thank you for commenting on my blog!