Thursday, June 02, 2016

Some finished socks

I started these a long time ago (like, January), but never got too far on them until break.

bee socks 1

These are made from an older run of Opal - from back when they had the brown-paper, non-glossy labels. I'm sure it's at least 12 years ago. It was called something like "Bumblebee print" and it does look like the stripes on a bee.

Heh. I remember this from the relatively-early days of self-patterning sock yarns. I remember when this run* of them came out around 2000 or so, how much excitement there was and how hard some of them were to find - lots would run out very shortly after stores received them, and sometimes there were waiting lists. There was a waiting list for this particular yarn and my skein had my name written on it because the (online) shop owner parcelled the shipment out to the people on her list as soon as she got it, and wanted to be sure everyone on the list got one.

(*I have read that there were self-patterning yarns back in the 1950s, but I don't know if that's true or not)

This is one of my favorite of the self-patterning yarns I've used recently. It's subtle - no wild colors - but it's pretty. (The yellow stripes alternate between darker and lighter)

bee socks 2

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

I love these. My shoe size is 11. My address is...