Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Looking for happy

I keep trying.

* I really hope the tentative plans I had with my friend Laura for a meet-up on Friday work out. (I have a message in to her to see). At first, last week, I was not enthusiastic about driving 3 hours in the heat ("What if my car breaks down?") but now I just need so badly to get out and see someone different and BE somewhere different that I'm willing to risk it. (And I think *55 still works to summon the highway patrol if you have a problem). And anyway, a breakdown is extremely unlikely.

* I still feel the lonely bug hard, and I tell myself that as soon as summer is over, everyone will be back and things will be better but that's a long slog. Even though I do not need more busy-ness in my life I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of a group out there - a choral group, a crafting group, SOMETHING - that meets at a time I could go to it, just for the ability to get out and not be either at work or at home. (I think part of my problem is that most of the groups I am a part of, I carry a lot of responsibility, I am not really part of any groups that are purely for fun where I feel I can turn down a leadership role.)

I did e-mail my piano teacher to see if we could start up summer lessons, that will make things a little better because (a) it's seeing another person during the week and (b) it gives me motivation to keep my house clean (it needs it right now). As much as I joke about "transition to hermit 87% complete" and as much as I can't stand crowds, I really miss having people (in small groups and carefully chosen people) around.

* I pulled out a long-stalled project and worked on it last night - this is the Sloane shawl. I'm probably close to being done, I think it is minimally big enough but I can't decide, do I do "minimally big enough" or do I do "work until you're almost out of yarn and have a big shawl"? Normally I like big shawls because I'm a biggish woman myself (5' 7", and also broad shoulders) but I admit I'm getting tired of the pattern. But I think I do need to power through this summer and complete a few of the things that are within some short distance of being finished: this, a cowl, a hat, the Hagrid sweater are some of the big ones.

* Tentative plans at some point soon: cast on the second sleeve for Hagrid. I finished the first one back in January and haven't touched the sweater since.

* I need to hunt around and hope I can find the keyfob I had for years on my house keys. I realized today it isn't on there and I REALLY hope it's in my traveling purse or on the table where I normally keep my keys (it is not in my regular purse). It was a gift from someone back before I moved down here, a small brass circle that says "God Keeps His Promises" and it has a ton of sentimental value to me....I don't know how long it's been missing because it was something I was so "used to" being there that I overlooked it. I hope I can find it. It's detached once or twice before because the jump ring that holds it on separates - I probably need to get a new one. (And I admit the slightly superstitious part of me wonders if finding it will maybe make me start feeling better, or make things start going better).

It's possible it's in a jeans pocket of something I wore recently but haven't washed yet, also. But I hope I find it.

I've also lost the tiny mirror I used to keep in my office for when I was wearing lipstick and needed to reapply it. I suspect that is just buried somewhere and hopefully I find it soon (and anyway, I was much less attached to that and I have another little mirror out of one of the Doki Doki boxes I carry in my purse now)

No comments: