Wednesday, May 04, 2016

May the Fourth

Today is "Star Wars Day" as in, "May the Fourth (Force) be with you."

Heh. As many others have said, there's the knee-jerk response of many people raised Christian: "And also with you." (Though really, in its original conception, the Force really wasn't that far off from Spirit. Or at least I envisioned it, as a child, as being something like that).

Also, someone on Twitter noted that today is ALSO 5/4.....which can be a time signature, most famously used here:



So I suppose you could also call today "Take Five Day"

(Dave Brubeck was a really interesting guy. There were a lot of things about him I didn't know. I didn't know, for example, he wrote religious music until my parents talked about doing one of his compositions in choir. He also apparently became Catholic as a reaction to some of the things he saw while fighting in World War II - the idea that the things war pushed a man to do contradicting God's commandments. He started out to be a veterinarian but was urged to go into music because "that was where his heart lay" He was also married for a very long time (until his death, in fact) to the same woman, which tends to be a bit....unusual....in the lives of artists.

Also, his mentor was Darius Milhaud....which really brings home to me how long a career Brubeck had; I think of Milhaud being very much early 20th century....)


And tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, celebrating a Mexican military victory (over the French, IIRC - Napoleon III tried to take over Veracruz but was beaten by General Zaragoza and his forces)

I....hope it's not wrong to think this guy is combining the two holidays:





(That is one of the oddest, and therefore, one of my favorite, .gif images)

No comments: