Saturday, May 07, 2016

"I ship it"

Two of my blindbags, presumably Apple relatives (but they obviously cannot be TOO close of relatives). Both of them with "atypical" poses - e.g., not just repaints of the existing molds (either the Mane Six or "generic boy pony")

I ship it

Apple Split (left) and Florina Tart (right).

I dunno, they seem to work well together. (My head canon is that the Apple family is truly immense and far-flung and there are things like v. distant cousins where a marriage between them would not be of genetic concern)

As I said: I wish they did more blindbags that weren't mere repaints of existing molds. I get why - it's expensive to come up with unique molds - but the unusual shaped ponies are more interesting.

(There's also been some fandom discussion of "should there be same-sex ships on the show?" I suspect, despite some of the stuff that has gone on in Steven Universe, that it's not gonna happen. Not unless it's VERY heavily lampshaded like the Lyra and Bon Bon "Best Friends!" thing. Because it's a kids' show, and honestly, seeing the freakout response to Derpy sounding "challenged" in the first time she was given voice, I could see a canonical same-sex pairing leading to the show being pulled. Even though there are some hints of same-gender pairing in Steven Universe....Gems are not "canonically beings," they are some kind of energy-thing rather than humans, so....

I don't know. I see both sides of the argument, I guess, but I can also see making a dramatic move leading to issues.

I will say I come down very heavily on the side of NOT shipping any of the Mane Six, whether same- or opposite. And especially not with each other! Okay, maybe as the very closing episode show Rarity running off with her prince or somesuch*, but once you introduce romance of any kind into what had been a friendship dynamic....well, I remember what it was like when someone in my crew of friends had a new "honey," or, even worse, when two people in the large mixed group started dating each other....it made things weird and changed the dynamic, especially when, as commonly happens, the couple broke up, and as much as that sometimes has to happen in the real world, it becomes harder in Ponyville to solve friendship problems (or to do things like fight off Tirek) if there's the whole mess of Twilight being with Flash Sentry, or the question of "are they or aren't they" with Rarijack or some such. I'd rather just see it left as a friendship show....also I tend to feel kids grow up too fast as it is and start worrying about things like dating and relationships too early as it is, just give them time to pal around with people, they have 60+ years to deal with adulthood stuff.

(*She expressed that desire early on in the show, but I wonder now with her career as a businessmare if that is increasingly uninteresting to her. Certainly being a princess would put a crimp in her designing)

Also, the whole question of representation does tend sometimes to leave out those of us who, for whatever reasons, have remained solo. Whether it's over-pickiness, lack of opportunity, lack of interest, whatever. Not everyone has to be paired up....Also I will note in real bands of wild horses, they tend very often to be a group of females (often sisters or a mother and several years' worth of foals) that hang together, and the males go off and form "bachelor bands," but those tend to be a bit less stable because testosterone. Also, usually there is a "boss mare" in the all-or-mostly female bands, often the oldest or most experienced mare....so it's kind of matrilineal, so I never had so many problems as some with Ponyville seeming to skew heavily female. Well, also, it originated as a way of selling pastel ponies with brushable manes to little girls, so it skewing heavily female makes sense from that perspective)

No comments: