Friday, April 22, 2016

Well, that's done

I took one of my "furlough afternoons" (one left for April now) today.

I mowed the lawn, for one thing. We've gotten something like 5" of rain in the past week or so and this was the first day it was dry enough. I also trimmed back the leggy leaders on the holly bushes so they don't look so bad and so more light gets in my dining room. (I'd take the hollies out, except I don't know what I'd put in their place, and there is some value in having spiny plants next to your windows - it makes your house a little more creeper-proof)

As I was mowing, I kept thinking about the leaky roof in the sewing room. If I didn't do something soon, I'd have to replace the drywall up that and argle, I don't think that's something I am strong enough to do myself. So I figured, since the next round of rain is to start Monday, I didn't have time to get a guy out....so I'd try to do it myself.

Went to Lowe's. Looked around the roofing department. Bought some roofing caulk (very sticky black stuff) and a caulk gun, and also a can of some kind of rubber sealant that claims you can spray it on and it will stop leaks. (It is a different brand from that one heavily advertised on cable, where they try to make a boat with a screen door for the bottom; I tend not to trust that "as seen on TV" stuff that makes extravagant claims). Also bought a new push-broom (the one I had, the head got cracked, the one I had before that is STILL on the roof). And some dust masks to try to protect me from allergies.

Coming home, I asked myself, "Do you really want to do this? You might not be 100% yet after having been sick off and on all winter." And I thought about doing it tomorrow morning but I told myself that it wouldn't take much more than an hour (turns out I was just about right there). So I got out the ladder - yes, but, the lowest point of the porch roof is only about 6' 5" off the ground, so it's not TOO hazardous to climb up on. I climbed up and pushed ALLLLLLL the accumulated junk (leaves, catkins, pecans, decomposed stuff, branches) off into the wheelbarrow (Well, not all of it went in, but that's another problem for another time). Got the caulk. It didn't quite fit in the caulk gun. So: "there, I fixed it" - I used a pair of clippers to cut a thin ring of the cardboard base off the bottom and THEN it fit. And then I also realized I had to "pop" the seal, so I got a long nail and did that.

The caulk is nasty stuff and I may have ruined my jeans trying to get back down - I had to brush against it. But ruining jeans is better than ruining a leg if I hadn't been able to safely get onto the ladder. I caulked all along the facia where I THINK the water is coming in. And then I went up on the roof and caulked some more around the flashing. And then I unleashed the spray-on rubber sealant on the seams. (Heh. You have to be 18 to buy that stuff, did you know? The kid at Lowe's had to re-do the transaction because he forgot to check that part. I told him, "I'm considerably over 18 but you can see my driver's license if you want"). I thought maybe it was because "yutes" would use it for vandalism (it's like even stickier, even nastier spray paint) but I suppose the stinky propellant is something people might huff. If they want to destroy brain cells. I probably lost a few even working with it out in the fresh air - it has a very nasty solventy smell.

At any rate. I really hope this does it. I still think I may need to get a roofer out to look at things and maybe brace for a BIG re-roof (this one will be a tear down as the previous one was not) but I hope this prevents more water finding its way in.


Also, I admit, it feels good to be able to fix something yourself. Both from the super-frugal angle (it did cost me $50, but I got the push broom and a couple additional dust masks for mowing the lawn with) because I tend to approach Scrooge McDuck level about things like this. But also, it makes me feel capable - I think of Heinlein's list of things an "intelligent man" should be able to do.

I also cleaned out the gutters, which I don't do as often as I should, but now if we get another "toad strangler" (as one of the OKC channel 9 weather guys calls the heavy rain) at least it will go down the downspout instead of out over the gutter. (If I do get the roof replaced, I may see if they do gutters as well. I have just the one but it's not in fantastic shape)

And finally, it's good to see there's life in the old girl yet, and even though it seemed like I was sick more than I was well this winter (mostly GI stuff but there was a week of a respiratory virus in there), I was able to get up and do the stuff and not be too winded when I was done. (Actually, mowing the lawn felt more strenuous: it had gotten really tall and it's no joke mowing through a dense carpet of Houstonia.)

No comments: