Sunday, April 10, 2016

Little purple alien

I finished the Oh amigurumi last night:

Oh

I used a smaller crochet hook than the pattern called for (US "G" is the standard size I use with worsted weight acrylic) so he came out a little smaller. The only really tricky part was figuring out his "ears" because it turned out I put the sweater on "backwards" relative to how the pattern wanted it, so his front became his back and I had to rip out and reverse the instructions. (I used a pattern from Screen to Stitch, the same designer who made the Baymax pattern I used).

I liked this pattern because you make all the "boring" little parts first, and then attach them as you make the body - this means when you've finished the crocheting, he is essentially done, and also you don't get the stiff "seams" from attaching parts by sewing.

Because he was smaller, I had to adjust the eyes - there is a pattern for the whites of the eyes in the pattern, but I had to cut it down. And I also used felt for the irises (instead of just embroidering them) and for the pupils (instead of lock washer eyes). The eyes are proportionately larger than the "movie" version of Oh, so he is a bit cuter. (Up to a point, bigger eyes = cuter.)

Oh is one of those annoying but strangely endearing characters - he's a bit of a pest, he thinks he knows everything, he's kind of literal-minded. (I need to rewatch the movie). I think Jim Parsons was probably the right choice of a voice actor for him despite my going "It's Sheldon Cooper, in purple-alien form" through much of the movie. A deeper or less-idiosycratic voice would not have worked so well.

(And I had a bit of a scare - Yahoo disavowed any knowledge of my existence and I had to re-log in to flickr, and at first it wouldn't let me in. I was concerned that maybe Yahoo dumped Flickr without telling any of us - I know they're in financial problems - but then when I tried my old Yahoo login, it worked, so....)

I also pulled out the long-stalled hexagon scrappy top this afternoon and added a few more hexagons and also cut some more out of fabric I had gotten/saved scraps of specifically for the top. One thing I love about these kinds of projects is that you can put them away for over a year (which is how long I didn't work on this) and pull them back out and start right up again where you left off. That's the best kind of hobby for a busy person - I did a little pottery when I was in school and I always think it would be fun to throw pots again and try to get enough experience to get really good at it, but that's not a hobby you can do for fifteen or twenty minutes at a go and then leave - you have to get the clay all conditioned and the pot thrown in one go, you can't leave it.

(Also: my stomach/abdomen is nearly 100% better today. I'm guessing the IBS stuff - if that's what it is - is cycle-related. Ugh, but at least I know it's unlikely something that requires immediate medical attention)
 

No comments: