Friday, April 15, 2016

Hexagon quilt grows

It's bigger than when I last photographed it:

hexagon quilt

My goal is to eventually get this to double-bed size. I THINK, though I am not 100% sure, I am going to make borders for the top, bottom, and side, and applique it on to them, so binding would be easy. I admit I like the idea of it just being edge-to-edge, that is, with the sort of undulating edge formed by the hexagons but it would be tough to bind that way (both because of the almost-fractal nature of the crenellations requiring tons more binding to be made, but also the sewing-down of said binding would be enormously tedious). I don't want to just cut the hexagons off square at the edges. Maybe there's some way to do a "blind finish" without a binding, where I just sew them to the backing directly....I will have to look in some of my books and see what others have done.

Also, I mentioned being able to use tiny pieces. This pleases me as I see it as a way to preserve memories of fabric that is almost all used up. This piece, for example:

puppy fabric


The little dog fabric was one I had a dress of as a child. (My mom is a fabric-saver, like I am). She had a few tiny scraps of it and passed some on to me, so I was able to use a piece of the fabric in this quilt. Some of the other pieces in the quilt are from the tiny scraps left from quilts I've made. I enjoy doing scrappy quilts, maybe even more than more-planned quilts...

1 comment:

purlewe said...

I love it!!

I recently did see someone show how they appliqued the edges to long strips for edging. Which makes sense.

I also saw someone else who bound the edges wavy.. but they had MUCH larger hexies. I think your first suggestion is a good one.

But I love looking at the hexies when they are all so different. YAY!