Sunday, February 21, 2016

Then there's Maud

(Yes, intentional misspelling, and for all you whippersnappers: reference. Though I have to admit: I was never allowed to watch it in its original run and only know it from rare re-runs. I was similarly not-allowed to watch All In The Family until I was older; I think my parents figured the shows had "too mature" themes for an under-12.)

I finished the Maud Pie amigurumi tonight. I ran out of steam to do her dress so she's going to have to hang around naked for a day or two until I can find the time. It's going to be more complex than I thought; I had planned on doing it like a t-shirt until I realized that a t-shirt won't really fit an animal that stands on all fours, not with a lot of modification to the front. I MIGHT do a tube for the body and then set in sleeves, and do a separate skirt that I just gather a little - her dress doesn't have a full skirt but there is a little fullness there.

I plan on making the dress not to take off, so I don't have to worry so much about what I am doing to construct it, especially with the sleeves - they can just be sewn on. And I'll have to make a tail hole in the skirt....

Maud side

She DOES have a cutie mark and canon (the Maud Pie minifig) seems to suggest it's either a cut piece of jet (i.e., coal) or a black diamond, so I gave her that one. Even though it shouldn't show once she's dressed. It matters to me, though.

Her face looks better in profile than in head on:

Maud face

I may have got the eyes a little bit too high, even though she is a slightly more mature pony (Pinkie's older sister). It's hard to position things well in such a small space - these ponies are less than 8" tall.

Another side view, showing off the cutie mark:

Maud cutie mark

I wound up doing the hair like I usually do it on these, by "rooting" it in. I just did a couple straight-across rows in front and then trimmed them for her bangs, and did the same (just a few more rows) in the back for the rest of her hair. I am pretty pleased with the color, that's very close to the color in the cartoon. (Vanna's Choice, I think the color is called Plum?)

Her bangs do tend to stick up a little but I have found that is generally a problem with short bangs, on people or on ponies.... (I need to trim my bangs a little some time.)

Maud close-up

1 comment:

Shooting Parrots said...

Ha! I would have said 'Maud' rather than 'Maude', so the reference helped by way of explanation.