Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Random pony stuff

* Apparently the baby that Cadence* and Shining Armor are having has got a name, according to a German website. The English translation EqD gives is "Flurry Hearts," which, I'm hoping is a slight mistranslation, because it seems awkward.

(* Sorry. I cannot call her Cadance like Hasbro wants me to)

* There's some kerfuffle about a font-copyright-owner wanting to sue Hasbro for allegedly not having all permissions in place to use their font for the "Friendship is Magic" wording. At first it sounded like one of those harassment-cash-grabs to me (because the font-site had something up on their page more or less proudly stating that Hasbro used the font "officially," which sounded to me like an agreement existed). Now, I don't know. In one of the legal documents there was the declaration that "All affected merchandise should be destroyed" which kind of made me go YOU CAN HAVE MY PONIES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS but of course they wouldn't come after people who had already paid for the stuff.

Best case scenario, I think: it turns out to be mere nuisance and is thrown out.
Middle case scenario: Hasbro has to re-font and put stickers on to cover the old font or new packaging
Worst case: Hasbro decides it's time to shut down this current generation and retool. Unlikely.

I have no idea how big this is or if it's actually a copyright-troll sort of thing or what. Legal stuff is the kind of thing that makes my eyes glaze over a little, so.... I want to believe it's someone trying to shake the Hasbro money tree with a nuisance suit, but I don't know if the font company actually has grounds.

* Even though I'm paying more for it than I should (Amazon's third-party sellers tend to go with a "what the market will bear") I ordered a Maud Pie blindbag-size figure. Now watch, the next time I am at Target they will have them. (I have looked for weeks at the stores I know that have Pony with no luck).

I admit, if I were a little younger (and had more room), I'd want ALL the playsets that they are coming out with. I'm contenting myself with some of the new special figures, though.

* This morning on Duolingo, reviewing "body parts" (some, I just cannot remember), I was asked to translate "Dein Gesicht!" and immediately I thought of Discorded Fluttershy. ("Your face!")

*I'm also wondering now if hunting YouTube for German dub versions of MLP (and other cartoons I watch) might help me improve my understanding. My biggest challenge with German is the cases for nouns, and the whole der-den-dem thing. Well, that and the flexible sentence order, which is actually related to that issue (if you are specifying clearly - by article - what place the noun is playing in the sentence, where it goes is less crucial).

* Random imagined pony that popped into my head: "Ocker Strine," a stallion from Horsetralia. His butt symbol is one of those hats with the corks hanging off the brim (like the "Bruces" in that infamous sketch about the University of Woolamaloo's philosophy department)

1 comment:

CGHill said...

I'm thinking Hasbro will point out that this little brouhaha has brought FontBros invaluable publicity, a largish check will be cut, and the matter will be quietly forgotten.