Thursday, January 28, 2016

Funny little rituals

I notice this. On the phone, some people have interesting little things they do. There is one relative of my dad's who is infamous for being IMPOSSIBLE to get off the phone - this person will say, "Well, I guess I better go" but then think of something else. I know at least once my dad said he has played the game of seeing how long he can keep this relative going, "Wait, there's just one more thing...."

I noticed my mom and I do one when we talk. One of us will say either, "Well, I better let you go" or "Oh, I need to go now" and then the other will say "Okay."

And it proceeds:

"Okay"
"Okay"
"Okay"
"Okay"

...at least four times until one of us hangs up.

***

I think I'm finally on the mend. I had been worried because I had ongoing acid reflux (though this is apparently the last stage of some stomach virues, it can also herald a going-bad gall bladder). And I kind of had a low point around lunchtime today, when my guts in general were hurting and I was worriedly thinking: (a) do I go to my own personal doctor first and have her refer me, or do I just go to the hospital myself?* and (b) who would I call to sit with me and kind of look out for me while waiting to be admitted? (Probably someone from church could, it would come down to finding the person who would be free enough that I wouldn't feel I was taking them away from things they needed to be doing)

But now I feel better. (I felt better after eating lunch, which tells me I can't be too terribly sick, I think). The reflux seems to be quieting down this afternoon and I feel more "normal" than I've felt in a couple days.


(*Yes, I checked: I would call my doctor first unless it was a terrible horrible emergency).

I eat a pretty low-fat diet (esp. low in saturated fat) and I exercise, so I'd hope that would protect me a little, but I also know being a woman of my age (and being heavy) puts me at greater risk. So it's something I worry about. (Also, am having monthly woes at the moment, and that often messes with my whole GI tract).

***

So, the first images of "Flurry Hearts" are out. She's an alicorn, sort of pale pink or white with a magenta and teal mane (some are speculating that she is somehow a reincarnation of, or a time-traveled reincarnation of, Starlight Glimmer, which seems a rather fanciful idea to me - seeing as Starlight Glimmer is pretty clearly not-dead, and given what happened the end of last season, she seemed on the path to redemption, and so would be unlikely to do something like, I don't know, try to take over a developing foal....)

She IS an alicorn, which is apparently upsetting some of the fanbase. Actually, I think it's a somewhat amusing idea as I am wondering if we are going to see Jealous Twilight again, in the sense of "I worked really hard to develop my magic, and here my niece is far more magic than I am FROM BIRTH."

And at least they didn't use the creepy iris-less-eye design on her: she has normal eyes instead of the "button" eyes other baby ponies were given.

In other seven-year-old-girl news: apparently they have come out with different Barbie body types: petite, taller, and (interesting to me) "curvier." Also, last year they redid a lot of the faces so the Barbies of different ethnic backgrounds didn't just all have the same turned-up nose. Personally, I think all the different redone faces make Barbie more interesting. Though the cynical side of me says having four different shaped Barbies maybe means the company figures that they can sell that many more outfits - because Curvy Barbie can't share Traditional Barbie's clothes, and stuff is too short on Tall Barbie. (So really, it's pretty genius: pleasing those who want "more diverse bodies" at the same time as probably selling more clothes. I PRESUME the clothes are still the main attraction of Barbie? I know that's how it was with my friends and younger cousins when I was a kid.)

I never particularly cared for Barbie when I was a kid - mostly because her glamorous lifestyle didn't fit in with what I knew, and also, she just didn't seem that interesting. But as a display figure, now, I can see some of the attraction of the new line.

No comments: