Tuesday, January 26, 2016

And still going

Oh hey, it's my blogiversary. (Do people still do that? Or have the cool kids all moved on and it's passé to note the day?)

(I had to check. I knew it was today or tomorrow, couldn't remember. It's today).

This makes, what, 14 years I've done this. That's....that's a long time.  There have been times I've thought of pulling the plug on it, either because I felt like no one was reading, or because I began to twitch, wondering if what I was doing was "kosher" (see this morning's post).

In the early days of this, each new year was exciting and felt like a milestone. And now, it feels more routine - oh, another year has passed?

I dunno. I also admit in the early days of this I thought I would win friends, influence people, and get a book contract. And then I saw other bloggers - some who started after I did - got all the publicity and all the love and all the adoring comments.

And I will admit, I felt a little jealous at first. And then I felt a little despairing: "Welp. Just proof you're not very interesting, you're destined never to have popularity. You were an unpopular little kid, you haven't changed."

And I don't know. I suppose really I wasn't meant to have much exposure - it would be weird having people I had never met (or e-mailed with, or commented back and forth with) come up to me and talk to me. And yeah, I know, the big popular bloggers get their share of truly awful comments and also other bad things going on....maybe better to fly under the radar.

I will say I seem to knit a lot less now. I suppose part of that is other things (finding time to practice piano) but also, I do feel like some of my responsibilities have increased.

Also, the Internet has changed. There are still a few high-profile knitbloggers out there, often using their blog to promote their books or their patterns or their hand-dyed yarn. But I do think a lot of people have moved over to mostly being on Ravelry (if you are mainly cataloguing your projects) or have gone to Twitter or Tumblr.

 But I still like *words* so I still blog. Twitter is too constrained and also, stuff gets buried and lost - oh, it's still out there, but there's no good way to archive and go back and re-read. And as much as there are some Tumblrs I like, many of them seem to have the same stuff on them. And they are very visual, few words - and also, I find the way some of them "thread" posts as new stuff gets added is annoying (you scroll down to see older posts and what you get are the previous eight incarnations of that post before someone else added to it). And Facebook, meh, I just can't get excited about it based on some of the drama I have seen second-hand. 

So I still blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray and a "happy 14"- I am so glad you are around, so here's to the continued long life of "Fillyjonk's Progress"-

All good wishes-
Barb in Texas

Charlotte said...

Congrats on your blogiversary. I, for one, am glad you blog. I look forward to reading what you post.

CGHill said...

I still note mine, but I was never one of the cool kids.

My own FB feed tonight was half drama, half Abe Vigoda.

purlewe said...

Congrats! I enjoy reading you. May you have many more years of blogging.

Don said...

Congratulations on 14 years. I look forward to the next 14.