Tuesday, November 10, 2015

something totally stupid

I can do my own sort of "displacement behaviors" but they tend to veer into a realm of absurdity, because the world is too much with me these days.

This morning, I quoted a snippet of "To his Coy Mistress" at someone on Twitter ("The grave's a fine and private place/but none, I think, do there embrace"). The poem was written by Andrew Marvell and it inspired a (much later) poet to write a similar poem (essentially: "Life is short and death is long so let's get it on, baby") called, "You, Andrew Marvell"

And my brain came up with this:



(I was thinking the monkey was from Futurama but the internets tells me it's from Family Guy. Whatever).

And I realized: this is one way in which I am kind of useless in the brave new world* in which we live: I know poetry, and I can make jokes off of it. But I'm fairly useless at business or economics beyond balancing my own checkbook. And while I like that I know these things - I value that I had a prep school education**, still, it's further evidence of how I don't fit in in a lot of ways.

(* Which is itself a Shakespeare allusion, and also a dystopian novel by Huxley - and it is probably the dystopia we will get, and perhaps the one we deserve)

(** For more reasons than one. As I've alluded to in the past, it made a huge difference in how I felt about myself and the world and I might not be here - I mean that in the most literal and serious way - if I hadn't gotten out of the pressure-cooker clique-fest that was the public school system in my town)

Ach, I don't know. My neck is hurting this morning. Either I tweaked something working out yesterday or it's just one of the periodic "this is where stress goes to die on me" things.

And about that uselessness: I would like to believe that I'm one of the ones trying to carry forward that kind of knowledge, caring about that kind of stuff, and keep it alive, but honestly, I don't really have anyone I'm passing it on to all that much. Often the allusions to historical things I make in class seem largely to be lost (do people, I mean people who aren't history buffs, know much about the family of the last tsar and about familial transmission of hemophilia?) and I know from one of my classes last spring, I don't DARE be too idiosyncratic because then people just giggle and pass notes.

I dunno. I need to stop thinking about it that way because it depresses me.

(Really, what I want to do is build a book-fort and have the password be a line of poetry or something. So if I quote a line of a somewhat famous poem at you and you can quote the next one back*, you're welcome to come in. If you roll your eyes or laugh at me or tell me I need to care about pop music instead, you don't get invited into the book-fort)

(*Or even if you can't, but express interest in learning what it's from, you're welcome. It's just the nuffers who think caring about literature or learning is stupid that are unwelcome.)

No comments: