Monday, November 30, 2015

Making a "sandwich"

Even though I didn't have the current quilt in the frame QUITE done yet, I decided yesterday afternoon that since it was the last large-ish block of open time I could expect for a little while, I would go ahead and put together the layers for the next hand quilted quilt.

I wound up doing this in my living room. There was JUST barely enough space for a smaller-than-twin (60" by 58") top, so when I get around to a bigger one I guess I will be taking it down to church and using the floor in Fellowship Hall.

I decided to live a little dangerously and just pin-baste this one. Some quilters use safety pins to hold the layers together (you can even buy "bent" safety pins, that are easier to close. And for a little premium, you can get a package of pre-opened pins, so you don't have to do it. But when I bought the pins I used, neither of those were available, so I had to use plain old pins and open them myself).

Usually I also sew-baste the layers, but (a) my hoop seems pretty good at holding stuff without it shifting and (b) it's a pain to sew-baste, and then to take the basting out at the end.

First step: make and iron the backing, and then tape it, right side down, to the floor. I usually use the blue painter's tape for this but I was out, and it was a cold rain outside, so I didn't feel like running to the Lowe's. I used packing tape instead, which is a little riskier for the floors, except I took it up very soon after putting it down, so it didn't seem to mar them. If, instead, it had been left on the floor for a couple days the adhesive could have done damage.

Then again, I couldn't leave this set up for more than an afternoon seeing as it took up the larger part of my living room:

backing taped down

Next, I added the backing - which had PLENTY of time to "air," it had been out of its package and unfolded for more than two weeks:

batting layer

The batting is bigger than the backing in places but that's okay as long as you pay attention and make sure the top is totally on the backing.  If I wanted to, I could trim it, but meh, I can do that later. (You can use the batting scraps for all kinds of things; my mom once put together a kludged-up outdoor faucet cover made of leftover batting when the one she had blew away.)

Then the top. It takes a little work to get everything smoothed and the wrinkles out (not shown: the step of pushing the wrinkles out of the batting):

top on

I tried to center it over the seam in the backing but if it's not perfect I don't care too much. I did strive to get it "square" on the backing so that there aren't competing grainlines and the like.

Last step: put in the approximately 1,000,000* safety pins to hold them together, making sure each time you catch all three layers without scarring the wood floor too badly.

safety pins

You can see the pins. Too late I realized I placed them right in the path of my planned quilting. Oh well. I can remove them as I go.

Also, I didn't mark the setting squares but the little four-petal design I plan doing (one "petal" pointing toward each corner) should be easy enough to eyeball, or I can cut the petal shape out of sticky paper and use that.

Then I pulled the whole thing up carefully, and carefully rolled it up until the hoop is free to put it in.

(*figure not accurate)

1 comment:

purlewe said...

It looks GREAT! I really need to get my backside in gear and finish my niece's quilt. It is going to be a squeaker if I can get it done by xmas.