Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Two quick photos

These are photos of the knitted dresses I made for "Maureen Algae," one of my Monster High dolls (she is one of the "Inner Monster" ones that you can kind of customize. And yes, her arms and legs are parti-colored: darker on the lower limbs. That was intentional in her design, I think, and not just weird fading).

Anyway. I think she and Pandora are my two favorites of these because they are blank slates that you can come up with a backstory for.

Pandora I imagine as being a little shy, but very organized and smart and a good leader. She's like the captain of the debate team type girl. Or maybe involved in something like the monster version of FCCLA.

Maureen is more of a drama queen - she's a bit less mature than her best friend, a bit more excitable. Maybe not QUITE as good of a student, but perhaps that's from lack of application as much as lack of smarts.

I do think I like her better in the dress I made than in the skimpier, and, uh, "faster" looking dresses that are commercially sold. As I said, this one makes her look younger and more innocent.

Maureen 1

A slightly less atmospheric but perhaps more visible photo. (With bonus Baby Groot photobomb):

Maureen and Groot

I used a sockyarn - just an inexpensive Red Heart one. I like how it came out. I also tried designing a pair of knickers (underpants) but they came out a little too "low rider." I'm revising the pattern for the dress I am making for Frankie, if those come out better I'll let Frankie show off her panties when I get them done.

The pattern for this is a free pattern on Ravelry, called something like Yet Another Monster High Dress. There are options where you can do a different color trim and even do a lace skirt with an underskirt....I altered the pattern for Frankie; I gave it a back opening and put snaps on it. Some of the Monster High dolls' heads take off (Maureen's does) so it's easier to change their clothes. With Frankie, I couldn't tell if her head would come off without damage, so I just did a back opening.

I'm using purple for her dress. This is actually a fun way to use up some of the "cheap" skeins of self-patterning sockyarn (I have SO MUCH and there are only so many times one can wear stripy socks).

Oh, and just as a reminder, this is Pandora:

No comments: