Thursday, September 24, 2015

It's always something

So, this afternoon, I pulled everything out from under the bathroom sink. Threw a ton of stuff (mostly old, mostly-used-up shampoo bottles and a couple boxes of feminine hygiene products that got wet) away. Turned the water on and watched.

It's a weird old sink - there's the main piece, and then there's a separate piece that catches the water from the "overflow" hole and directs it down to the main drain. This piece is apparently welded on with some kind of blackish, caulk-like substance covering the welds. It's leaking along the welded area. (It looks like a much-less-rusty version of this one, you can see where the overflow is attached. I think that's a steel sink and mine is cast iron, which is marginally better)

I have a plastic tub under there for now to catch the leaks but I guess I need to call a plumber in. My dad offered to pay if I need a new sink (I have fretted several times to him about how severely I am going to have to economize) but I admit that I feel like I should cover it myself, and if it comes to it, eat rice and beans for the rest of the month or whatever.

That won't happen tomorrow, though. I need to get out and do some fall fieldwork and I had already scheduled that time. It'll have to be some time late next week. At least this isn't an urgent thing.

I don't know. This kind of stuff, for some reason all the stupid little logistics of arranging one's life, the junk like making time to do laundry when you're busy, is what undoes me the most. I can deal with the big stuff. It's the little stuff on top of the big stuff that makes me break down crying on the kitchen floor on a Thursday night.

****

Encore is showing "Guardians of the Galaxy" and I'm half watching it. I realize that in my current mindset, the character I am most like is Rocket - I grumble a lot under my breath and complain about "idiots." Not a good mindset to be in. (Groot is probably the character that would be the most desirable to imitate - kind (he gives that little beggar girl a flower) and self-sacrificing and protective of his friends.)

****

I did finish the body of Treehugger and attached her head. Trying to work up the motivation to do a few rows on the first (of four, the thing that frustrates me about quadruped creatures) leg.

****

I'm getting hit again with lots of dodgy-link-containing spam comments from 'bots who are clearly non readers. The spam winds up going  where the goblins go but it still annoys me and makes me slightly sad. Again, it's the little things: I also get annoyed that nine times out of ten, when my phone rings, it's UNKNOWN NUMBER or TOLL FREE CALLER so it's some scammer trying to scam me. It makes me unhappy that most of the potential interactions I seem to have these days are people trying to rip me off in some way. Does not give one a good view of humanity and it perhaps reinforces my Rocket Raccoon-like mood.

it does bug me that the ratio of spam comments to real comments on here is like 10:1. Spam is just one of those things that should not be.

No comments: