Friday, June 05, 2015

They're here now

The guys showed up at 9 am, as expected. (Perhaps I'm the first client of the day, meaning if they're late in getting to someone else, it's because of me. Well, I've been the one who had to sit and wait a number of times when jobs before me turned out to be bigger than expected).

It was the head guy and two worker guys. The head guy talked to me, said he had another job to check out, but he'd be back for the paperwork and if worker guys had any problems. They didn't need me to switch anything off from the breaker, which surprised me (though I think maybe there's a separate breaker box on the outside of the house for this) but I did shut down the old unit.

The two worker guys....I had to kind of laugh because while I can't hear details, it sounds like one guy is constantly talking at the other guy, and while I can't really hear what's being said, it doesn't sound - from tone and the few words I catch - that second guy is being trained and first guy is doing the training, and it also doesn't sound like anything entertaining like "what do you think about the current line up of whatever sportsteam." It sounds more like worker guy 1 is venting about his life. So I am kind of cringing and feeling uncomfortable on behalf of worker guy 2, because I know that feeling: trying to do my job while someone talks at me. And I kind of dislike it. Maybe worker guy 2 has got used to it but I know there are times when it was all I could do not to turn around to whoever was talking at me and go "I can't hear myself THINK! Can you please be quiet for five minutes?"

It also occurred to me that since they're moving the old unit out of the cranny between my tree and the bump-out of my house, I might be able to use that spot as a hiding-place for my rollcart - which would mean it was a lot closer to the street (and the front door, when I need to take a bag out to it). I'll have to try that out when they get done and if it fits, that means I won't have to always keep it around the back of the house, which can be an effort if you're tired and hurting or if it's raining hard.  (We're asked to keep them more or less out of sight. I don't think there is a schedule of fines for leaving them at the curb, like there is in my parents' town, but it DOES look neater to have them taken up after trash day)

So far (they've been working not quite an hour) there have been no Issues come up, so I'm hoping that means the installation will be totally smooth and by this afternoon I will have a shiny new trustworthy air conditioning unit.


Uh-oh. At least one of them got in the truck and started it up. Either that means: (a) they're hauling the old unit off before installing the new one, (b) they're closer to done than expected and are going to get Head Guy, or (c) there's some horrific problem and Head Guy or other workers must be summoned.

(I see Old Unit in the back of the truck, so maybe it's a. I hope so)

I really kind of want to watch what they're doing but I know some workers get bugged by the homeowner hanging over them....it's not that I don't trust them, it's just kind of interesting to me because this is something I know nothing about.

If I don't hear any noise in the next few minutes, I might peek, because that suggests both Worker Guys left with the old unit....

No comments: